Thanks

XP Computer on a Windows 7 Network

I have a nicely-functioning home network of several Windows 7 computers. It also contains one XP computer (named HUB, after one of my own nicknames), that I use primarily to drive some HP Business Inkjet 2800 printers that don't have Windows 7 drivers. (There are some workarounds and quasi-drivers, but none of them are satisfactory for my purposes.)

The Windows 7 computers all recognize HUB as a computer on the network, and I can easily transfer documents from any Windows 7 machine to HUB's desktop or My Documents folder, from which I can use HUB to fire up Word 2003 or Adobe Reader 11 and use them to print the documents to the Inkjet 2800 printers. Everything works fine, as far as it goes.

I'd LIKE to have HUB recognize the other computers on the network, so I could have a two-way exchange of files with them, and particularly so I could print from HUB to a networked HP LaserJet 1022 that is connected to the Windows 7 computer named GATEWAY. (All the Windows 7 computers can easily print to the LaserJet 1022, but HUB doesn't even know it's there).

Right now, HUB shows that it has no Network Places. When I run HUB's (XP) Add Network Place Wizard, I don't get very far. When I look at the Microsoft Windows Network, I see two networks: Home, which shows HUB and many of its locations, and Workgroup, which usually shows the other computers on the network, but doesn't let me get any further. There's a plus sign next to each of the other computers, but when I click it, it just disappears.

I appreciate that putting XP machines on Windows 7 networks can be somewhat flaky, but I'd still like to give it a try.

Who can get me moving in the right direction?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    If that doesn't help, here's a good guide from the How To Geek:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15247/

Jerry

Thanks
    It's some help, but not enough for success. I believe I now have the XP machine as part of WORKGROUP, of which all the other computers are members.

When I try to set up a Network Place, it asks me for a user name and a password. I enter these the best way I know (which is somewhat of a guess), the XP computer tells me it is "connecting to GATEWAY" (which is the name of another computer on my network), but nothing happens.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Set up secondary user id/password combos on all the win 7 boxes that match the user id/password of the XP box.

Jerry

Thanks
    The XP box now can print to the LaserJet on one of the W7 boxes, but I'm not sure how it happened. Following some of the stuff in the references above, I found Advanced Sharing Settings on the W7 boxes and turned off password protected sharing. That stopped the dialog boxes asking for userid and passwords (which I had had no success in getting past).

Somewhere, somehow, a printer appeared on the XP box's list of printers, named Auto HP LaserJet 1022. I don't know where the "Auto" came from. I could print to that printer, so I was happy. I renamed it to remove the "auto" in its name, and all is well now for printing.

I still can't access any W7 box files from the XP box (which is desirable but not necessary in my scheme of things). I don't know the user id/password of the XP box, but would gladly look for it and follow jwitalka's suggestion.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    I still can't access any W7 box files from the XP box (which is desirable but not necessary in my scheme of things). I don't know the user id/password of the XP box, but would gladly look for it and follow jwitalka's suggestion.
    For the shares on the W7 systems, I think if you set the security and share settings Usergroups to Everyone and continued without password prompts, you'd have access.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    For the shares on the W7 systems, I think if you set the security and share settings Usergroups to Everyone and continued without password prompts, you'd have access.
    I have several computers on my network running XP, Vista, and Win7 all talking happily to one another.

All are in the same "workgroup" and the Vista/Win7 PCs are set to use "Work" in "Network and Sharing Centre" ("network discovery" is on, "file and printer sharing" is on, "Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write..." is selected, "Media streaming" is off (though that probably doesn't matter much), "128bit encryption" is on, "password protected sharing" is off, "Allow Windows to manage Homegroup connections is on).

The XP PCs have "file and printer sharing" turned on (see Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard).

Screenshot showing "permissions" settings for "SHARED" folder on Win7/Vista PCs:
    Sharing.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    When I try to set up a Network Place, it asks me for a user name and a password. I enter these the best way I know (which is somewhat of a guess), the XP computer tells me it is "connecting to GATEWAY" (which is the name of another computer on my network), but nothing happens.
    I get the sense that you are confused as to whether your computers are password protected. If you have to put in a password when you boot the computer, it is password protected, if it boots to windows without a password, it is not password protected.
    This is from the Windows 7 Guide concerning network and sharing settings ( I purchased it from Windows Secrets ): "scroll down to File Sharing Connections and click the radio button for Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption. (Note: You need this setting anyway, if you want to share files between Win7 and an XP box.)"
    Note: If you don't have password protection, don't turn on password protection.
    Hope this helps.

file n ntwrk shrng1.JPG
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2014-10-26 at 11:10.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    I have several computers on my network running XP, Vista, and Win7 all talking happily to one another.

All are in the same "workgroup" and the Vista/Win7 PCs are set to use "Work" in "Network and Sharing Centre" ("network discovery" is on, "file and printer sharing" is on, "Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write..." is selected, "Media streaming" is off (though that probably doesn't matter much), "128bit encryption" is on, "password protected sharing" is off, "Allow Windows to manage Homegroup connections is on).

The XP PCs have "file and printer sharing" turned on (see Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard).

Screenshot showing "permissions" settings for "SHARED" folder on Win7/Vista PCs:
    Sharing.jpg
    Coochin:
    I am in the process of setting up a peer-to-peer Workgroup network with two 64-bit Win7sp1 laptops (a Dell Precision M4700 and a Lenovo Thinkpad T530) and a 32-bit IBM-A31 Windows XP laptop. Your post (and the others here) likely will be very useful.

But because I am a fully qualified ignoramus, I am wondering about your statement:
    "The XP PCs have "file and printer sharing" turned on (see Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard)."

Do you mean a Windows XP Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard, or a Vista or Windows 7 Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard?
    The Screen Shots were useful, but they didn't answer my question.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

P.S. I have not yet tried to add a WindowsXP laptop because I am still learning how to set up a Peer-to-Peer Workgroup network between two 64-bit laptops (described above).
    I can get the two laptops to recognize each other, but I thought that a Workgroup would have a name. (It did have one when I was running a Peer-to-Peer network between two Windows 2000 laptops, and then when I graduated them to Windows XP.)
    But now my Peer-to-Peer Workgroup network between two 64-bit Win7sp1 laptops doesn't mention a Workgroup name.

When would a Workgroup name show up?
    Or how do I find out what the Workgroup name is?
    Or how would I assign a name to the Workgroup?
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2014-10-26 at 13:05.

Thanks
    how do I find out what the Workgroup name is?
    Or how would I assign a name to the Workgroup?
    As long as a network contains only Windows 7 PCs, the network name doesn’t matter one whit. However, if you’re trying to get XP, Vista, and Win7 PCs to talk to each other, the workgroup name definitely comes into play. In particular, XP won’t play nicely with your Win7 computer unless the workgroup name on the Win7 machine matches the workgroup name on the XP system. (Vista tends to ignore workgroup names.)
    To check and — if necessary — change the workgroup name on any XP PC, right-click My Computer, choose Properties, and select the Computer Name tab. If the workgroup name doesn’t match the name used by the other networked PCs, change it.

In Vista and Windows 7, right-click Computer and choose Properties. In the Computer Name area, you’ll see the Workgroup name; change it by selecting the Change settings link, clicking the Change button, and entering the new name.
    To avoid completely inscrutable problems, make sure all the PCs on your network have the same workgroup name, and reboot each one whose name you change.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually workgroup name doesn't even matter [much] on XP systems. I use workgroup names to separate groups of dedicated PCs containing both XP and Win7. Whereas Win7 will lump all workgroups together in Network, XP will only show the single workgroup computers in View workgroup computers, but, simply going up one level from there reveals all workgroups.

If you look at Windows 7 Network in details view you will see workgroup name; if it's not there you can add it as one of the detail columns.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RNFolsom View Post
    ...Do you mean a Windows XP Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard, or a Vista or Windows 7 Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard?...
    Control Panel/Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP. In Vista, Win7, etc., see "Network and Sharing Centre" in Control Panel (or right-click the network icon in the notification area of the taskbar).

Quote Originally Posted by RNFolsom View Post
    ...Or how would I assign a name to the Workgroup?...
    In XP right-click "My Computer" then click "Properties" (or go to Control Panel/System). Click the "Computer name" tab to set/change the computer name and/or change workgroup settings.
    XP_name.jpg

In Vista, Win7, etc., right-click "Computer" then click "Properties" (or go to Control Panel/System). In the "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" area click "Change settings" to change name & workgroup settings.

For a typical home or small business network it is usual to have all the computers in the same workgroup (most often "WORKGROUP" or "MSHOME", but you can use whatever you want). Obviously each computer must have its own unique name within the workgroup.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    ...click the radio button for Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption. (Note: You need this setting anyway, if you want to share files between Win7 and an XP box.)...
    Actually I have found that the 128-bit encryption setting in Vista & Win7 doesn't prevent XP from connecting & sharing.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the help/suggestions, fellows!

My problem seems to have solved itself, and I can now print to the printer on the Win 7 box from the Win XP box.

I remember from dealing with this situation several years ago that some of the advice was very explicit about turning computers off then on in a certain sequence. Maybe that happened here.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA