Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Move email FROM Outlook 365 to a file to be read by Outlook 2010 on a PC

Every time I search for what seems to be a simply stated requirement: move emails FROM Outlook 365 to a file that can be read by 2010, the reverse process is always shown. Is this a case where once MS has you by the short hairs and you've signed up for 365, you're stuck?!?!?

Is there a way to get the existing emails sitting on 365 into a file that then can be imported to 2010 on the PC so that the 365 service can be terminated?

My client doesn't want to go TO 365, they want to get OFF 365 and import their inbox mail to their PC.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    What exactly do you mean by wanting to get off 365? Does he read email online? Or is he using Outlook 2013 and wants to go back to Outlook 2010?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Currently, using Outlook 365 and wants to STOP using it and use 2010 ONLY on his PC. But, wants to move the existing inbox on 365 TO his 2010 version of Outlook -- doesn't want to have the old inbox emails to simply vanish.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Office 365 doesn't exist as an installable suite. Office 365 is a subscription scheme to buy Office and some other stuff. What you get to install locally is Office 2013.

So, your friend has Office 2013 installed locally. How is he connecting to his email accounts, does he use POP, IMAP or does he connect to Exchange accounts? If he uses IMAP or exchange accounts, just reconnecting to the accounts from Outlook 2010 will bring his inbox contents back.

If you friend uses POP, all I have read leads me to think he can simply use the existing PST file(s) with Outlook 2010. Even if he upgraded the pst file(s) when he moved to Office 2013, I understand the format is the same, so all he needs to do is to configure outlook to use the existing pst file(s) when setting up the email accounts, after installing Office 2010.

I would strongly advise your friend to take a full image of his system before he does anything. Then he will need to remove Office 2013, install Office 2010 and configure outlook as described.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

kweaver (2014-10-24)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    RUIRIB: Still hopeless...

This is really nuts. I'm remotely on the 365 system and still see NO way to capture the inbox of mail to a file on the PC.
    I'm beginning to think you CANT do this. MS gets you by the short hairs and you're stuck!

I want to move the emails and the contacts from the 365 system OFF that system to the PC and into either Office 2007 or 2010, and OUTLOOK on one of those environments.

Is this simply not possible?? It clearly isn't a simple step of "copy this file"...

Still hoping for someone to help on this matter.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing I can tell you is that I've been transferred 8 times and have been dealing with Microsoft (mostly on hold) for approx. 4 hours and every person of the 8 has no answer and sends me to someone else.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kweaver View Post
    RUIRIB: Still hopeless...

This is really nuts. I'm remotely on the 365 system and still see NO way to capture the inbox of mail to a file on the PC.
    I'm beginning to think you CANT do this. MS gets you by the short hairs and you're stuck!

I want to move the emails and the contacts from the 365 system OFF that system to the PC and into either Office 2007 or 2010, and OUTLOOK on one of those environments.

Is this simply not possible?? It clearly isn't a simple step of "copy this file"...

Still hoping for someone to help on this matter.
    What type of protocol (POP, IMAP) is your friend using? Without that, it's really impossible to provide advice.

The inbox contents are either the contents of the inbox in an account accessed through IMAP or the contents of an inbox folder in a .pst file. In the former case, all you need to do is setup the account in your new Office 2010 installation. In the latter case, you need to save the file and then use it when configuring Outlook 2010.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Finally got a smart engineer at MS who knew the several steps necessary to move the 365 email inbox and contacts (and the rest of the Outlook files) to a PST file for Outlook 2007 POP account.

What a pain getting someone who knew how to do this.

My advice...from this experience...don't go to 365 unless you never plan to go back to a local machine-based version of Outlook and a third-party email account.

You won't find someone easily at MS that knows how to do this. 4 hours and 8 people to get the 8th person to do it correctly.
    It's not a click click and you've done it!