Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up "And now for something completely different"

"And now for something completely different"

Does this apply to what Microsoft knew they were giving people w/ Windows 8.
    OR
    Does it apply to what people thought Microsoft was giving them w/ Windows 8?
    OR
    Does it apply to Windows 10?

Windows 8 was different from the past and a window to the future. It was packed w/ fun, innovative, new & unfamiliar approaches to computing. It was both loved & or hated. It was ok & accepted or completely misunderstood & rejected. It was interesting, clever, somewhat challenging and in some ways, silly.

Enter Windows 10. Now, this is seriously, easy computing, be it for work or play. And nothing silly. Just pure, straight-forward computing. It is so refreshing, a real down-to-earth pleasure. No gimmicks, no bell-n-whistles, nothing hidden or popping in & out, nothing magically disappearing in edges, no 'poke me' corners. Sure it is a work-in-progress, right now, that is, still, being built. Ultimately, people and businesses are going to like this and the pleasant, simplistic computing it offers. A serious, clear & easy approach to future computing for work & or play w/ Windows 10. This is something completely different and better and it does apply to Windows 10.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    If you're doing historical comparisons of Windows 8 and Windows 10, you might like to read this Heart of Windows 8 lives on in Windows 10 article, which also makes mention of Surface RT.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    If you're doing historical comparisons of Windows 8 and Windows 10, you might like to read this Heart of Windows 8 lives on in Windows 10 article, which also makes mention of Surface RT.
    An ok article & I suppose it somewhat correlates w/ the thinking I was trying to express. Funniest thing though, I'm sure I recall reading that article quite some time ago. (Weird)

And yes, Win 8 is 2 yrs old, right now. And maybe I never hated it because from the onset I discovered how I could use it exclusively on Desktop AND w/out need for Tiles OR changing screens.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-25 at 05:24.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, good sunny morn to you.

>>> maybe I never hated it because from the onset I discovered how I could use it exclusively on Desktop AND w/out need for Tiles OR changing screens.

Exactly ! Being the master of my machine, I think so, I was able to use 8 and now 10, in the same way that I used XP and others. My taskbar is my Start screen. You can not teach an old dog new tricks but I am able to fetch the same bone, over and over again, at my advanced stage in life. Good on you ! Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

Yes, indeed. I didn't use the start menu much or for much even long before Win.8/8.1 Just reckon why an extra unnecessary click or looking about by going to a menu or screen (1st) if not needed. Keep it simple & efficient. Have what is used often, 'right there'.

Have some fun this wknd.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    ...Enter Windows 10. Now, this is seriously, easy computing, be it for work or play...
    I have been very satisfied with Win7 (started using Win7 about 6months after it was released, but have other PCs with Vista and XP). Installed Win10 TP a week ago and am very impressed so far.

In all the many cases when I upgraded customers' PCs to Win7 (or built them a new Win7 PC) there was only one case where the customer insisted on reverting to XP. She was in her late 70s and found the change overpowering. But I heard about six months later she had passed away from a brain tumour.

The thing with Win10 that most impresses me is the speed and responsiveness; it starts up much faster than Win7, and programs open much quicker.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-10-28 at 01:45.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    I have been very satisfied with Win7 (started using Win7 about 6months after it was released, but have other PCs with Vista and XP). Installed Win10 TP a week ago and am very impressed so far.

In all the many cases when I upgraded customers' PCs to Win7 (or built them a new Win7 PC) there was only one case where the customer insisted on reverting to XP. She was in her late 70s and found the change overpowering. But I heard about six months later she had passed away from a brain tumour.

The thing with Win10 that most impresses me is the speed and responsiveness; it starts up much faster than Win7, and programs open much quicker.
    Yes, it is very easy to notice how quick & snappy it is. And especially obvious is the speedy boot. There are some under-the-covers technologies, @ the kernel level that account for this. Also, there are major changes in the boot mechanism. MS did the work, we reap the benefits. Seems this one has reason to be well received.

And, right now, I have it as a VM w/ 4G RAM. Will be something to have it as the physical machine on a SSD w/ 8G RAM.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

I see we have both been IT Consultant/Techs for about the same length of time.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-26 at 01:46.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice Sunday morn to you, Drew.
    Being daring just a little, I tried to clone this W-10 using Acronis 13. When I cleaned this Lenovo of W-7, I cloned it just in case and it took 16 minutes. The cloning of W-10 takes 2+ hours ! At first, I discontinued the clone thinking that Acronis had not loaded cricket. On the second attempt, all same-same, 2 hours as shown on the screen and by the progress bar, it was right. So, I let it run overnight and lo&behold, this morning I had a clone, I could show you a Prt/Scrn of the two HDs side by each. Positive clone ! But why would it take so long, same machine, same type of destination USB 250 MBs. ????
    Have a great day. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I see we have both been IT Consultant/Techs for about the same length of time.
    Fair enough, but I now see that handcuff36 ("Jean") seems to want to talk to you, so I'll bow out.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Fair enough, but I now see that handcuff36 ("Jean") seems to want to talk to you, so I'll bow out.
    Hmmm, nothing 'private' in our threads. Don't quite grasp the "bow out" part. Sorry you felt so inclined. Jean & I have been friends quite a while but, nobody need feel unwelcome or in the way.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg