5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Is better to initialise hard drive as GPT

Tried to intsall win 10 Preview as a clean install to a new hard drive initialised as MBR. After it finally booted to desktop I removed the USB stick I used to install and rebooted but it would not boot not even any errors shown or hard drive activity. I have noticed on my nephews lapyop with win 8.1 the drive is set for GPT initialised. I was wondering if it would make win 10 work better if I initialised it as GPT. Do not know what the difference is between the two settings but would appreciate if anyone knows which is best.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2014-10-25)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Tried to intsall win 10 Preview as a clean install to a new hard drive initialised as MBR. After it finally booted to desktop I removed the USB stick I used to install and rebooted but it would not boot not even any errors shown or hard drive activity. I have noticed on my nephews lapyop with win 8.1 the drive is set for GPT initialised. I was wondering if it would make win 10 work better if I initialised it as GPT. Do not know what the difference is between the two settings but would appreciate if anyone knows which is best.
    The What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive? article explains the difference well.

Which is best for you depends a lot on the hardware you have.
    Desktop or laptop?
    If desktop: if OEM (i.e.: HP, Acer, ASUS, etc., if custom-built model of motherboard & BIOS or UEFI?
    If laptop: make & model number?
    Make & model of new HDD?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.