Banned Member
    Thanks

Post Appreciating the Reality of Windows 10

This offers some insight into what makes Windows 10 a significant departure from the past and a significant progression to the future.

As has been said, UI is the tip of the iceberg.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Drew,

Sorry but it reads like a marketing piece to me. It's long on promises and short on details (you know where the devil hides! )
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Drew,

Sorry but it reads like a marketing piece to me. It's long on promises and short on details (you know where the devil hides! )
    Bruce,

Has nothing to do w/ me... I did not write the article. And Paul has much more of a name & reputation than, I, anyway. Sorry, have no idea what "devil" you are on about.

I only shared an article, available to all on the Net. Don't shot the messenger (anymore).

Strangely enough or interestingly enough, others have said, "Good article, thanks for sharing". "Variety is the spice of life", so 'they' say.

It was more stating facts than promises, @ least, that's how I & others read it. Seems we read it wrong. Although, from reading lots about the Win 10 Platform, talking colleagues & MS people and using the OS for a while, seems like facts.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-10-26 at 21:18.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Drew,

Nothing personal. I was just addressing you as the poster I was replying to. I've always been taught it's proper to address people by name. I always try to use a poster's name, if known, or screen name if that's all I have.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Bruce, wasn't about using my name... I, always prefer that (practice). Don't care for computer 'user names' and, certainly, not if the proper name is known. Sorry, if I took it wrong. I've had a few giving me grief in some Tech Forums if I saying anything supportive or positive towards Windows 10 or share material of a positive nature. Forgive, if it seemed like another of those again & wasn't. I just share items that might be of interest to others & Paul Thurrott knows his stuff and usually writes fairly good articles. I can't help it if you didn't think much of this one.

On a personal note... I do think Microsoft have done a good thing w/ the Windows 10 Platform. I do feel they have listened & are listening. I firmly believe 10 will be well received, that people will like it & find it easy & enjoyable to use. Be I proven right or wrong, doesn't really matter... my thoughts hold little meaning or impact in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    given where win10 is in the development process it is difficult to tell what is already available and what it yet to come. As a result it can be construed as marketing drivel or a forward looking statement of direction.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Although, Paul is an independent... I've never known him to whitewash Microsoft or speak for them.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Although, Paul is an independent... I've never known him to whitewash Microsoft or speak for them.
    Me either but this might be the most effusive article without seemingly solid support that I've ever read from Paul. Seems to me he's either jumping the gun on an educated guess on where the preview is going or he knows more than he's revealing. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, just that he's gushing about what seem at best to be roughed out characterizations at this point.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Me either but this might be the most effusive article without seemingly solid support that I've ever read from Paul. Seems to me he's either jumping the gun on an educated guess on where the preview is going or he knows more than he's revealing. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, just that he's gushing about what seem at best to be roughed out characterizations at this point.
    He, also, seemed (I thought) to be discussing the overall premis, long-term, broader aspects of the Windows 10 Platform... more than just the OS or cosmetics or mechanics. Or maybe, it's just me thinking about all that, as well and thought he was addressing it, as well.

Or maybe, I just don't see the bad in things as readily as I should.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Cheers,
    Drew

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, but, then, why is he all fired up? The long-term, broader aspects are as about as exciting as watching paint dry right now.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Yes, but, then, why is he all fired up? The long-term, broader aspects are as about as exciting as watching paint dry right now.
    There may be some folks who DO think they are more exciting than that. (rightly or wrongly)

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    IMHO Saying it is a BIG LEAP is a big leap. Just like every previous iteration of windows whether P Thurrott is saying it or not. Again IMHO
    That said I am disliking WX less than I feared I might, just a learning curve as an XP user.
    If I could get that task bar (or what ever its called to pop up on passover reliably instead of flickering out of sight when I 'go' for it, my opinion might improve.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    IMHO Saying it is a BIG LEAP is a big leap. Just like every previous iteration of windows whether P Thurrott is saying it or not. Again IMHO
    That said I am disliking WX less than I feared I might, just a learning curve as an XP user.
    If I could get that task bar (or what ever its called to pop up on passover reliably instead of flickering out of sight when I 'go' for it, my opinion might improve.

IF you have the Taskbar set on Auto hide, I do find it apears more readily or cooperatively when touch somewhere along its length rather than tight @ the left end. Aside from that, maybe you could, @ least for the time being, take it off Auto hide, thereby avoiding the issue, for now.

And, yes, users coming from XP to Win10 will find much less of a learning curve than were they going from XP to 8.1 Win 10 on its Desktop is not anywhere near as different to use as 8.1 So far I, too, find Win 10 a pleasant experience.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg