New Lounger
    Thanks

Post New to programming + silly question :)

Hey guys

I am fairly new to programming, i am mostly trying to program in Java / C#

When i watch stream on twitch.tv i am using VLC media player to watch the live streaming in, it bugs me out that i have no way to see if their stream is online,
    I want to code something so i can first check if their stream is up and if yes startup the VLC livestreaming, else prompt me a message that they are not currently streaming

also!
    if anyone have any C#/Java - beginner site / video nuggets that would frking great

Hope you guys understand the question,

Thanks !

Regards
    Lau Jensen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This sounds to me like an advanced programming assignment, not something that a beginner could tackle. Why do I say this? Because you have to learn many things:
    1) You need to learn basic programming skills. What I mean is you need to understand how to convert what would seem to you as something obvious into a series of sometimes tedious steps that are individually small enough for a computer to grasp but when put together are powerful enough to do the task you have in mind. This is often harder that is first sounds.
    2) You need to learn the Java or C# language, what its quirks are, and how to best make use of its features. Often, if you learned one language, you can fairly easily pick up another language but you soon find out that with each language you need to change your way of thinking. I approach C# programs much differently from Java programs, even though there is a lot of overlap between the two. (You could always write a Java-style program in C#, but it would not be as elegant or efficient as if it was written in a C# style.)
    3) You need to learn how to interface with twitch.tv. This means you need to research of they have provided a web service to access information, and if not, if there is a way you could do "screen scraping" to get the information your want. Screen scraping involves getting the HTML page, interpreting it, extracting information from it, and most likely getting other HTML pages or artifacts based on the contents of the HTML page. And if the page uses JavaScript, then you'll have to deal with that, especially if the JavaScript is what runs the video stream. This is not an easy task by any means. There are often libraries of Java or C# code that will do a lot of this, but then you will have to learn how to use someone else's code to do what you want, which can be daunting if there is little or no documentation that comes with that library (a very common occurrence for open source libraries).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey CafeFood

First i would like to thank you for the answer

i really want to learn how to code, but i find it difficult to start up

I work as a Server administrator in the daily basis, i want to learn how to programme, but i always die out in the learning process because the content i can find online isnt that good

do you got any good material for a beginner like me ?