Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Firefox 33 and 33.0.1 not displaying site correctly

Hi,

This issue started last week. I think it could be either a Firefox issue or an issue on my computer.

Our web site (www.mygoforthegreen.com) won't display properly (see attached screen shot). Restarting Firefox does not correct it, but restarting the computer often does. This does not occur on the laptop, in Chrome or in IE.

I'm running Windows 7, SP1 and haven't made any changes on the computer or the site recently.

Not sure how to troubleshoot it to find out (and fix) the cause and hoped a Lounger might see an obvious cause that I can't.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Linda
    Web Site Display.JPG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Irene,

Your site displayed just fine for me in FF 33.0 then I updated to FF 33.0.1 and it is still displaying correctly. I have the following add-ons installed:
    FlashBlock
    AdBlocker Plus
    NoScript
    GreaseMonkey
    Disconnect
    WOT
    Privacy Badger
    Xmarks

You should try starting FF in safe mode. If that works it's one of your add-ons causing the problem. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You got it, RG! Thanks to your link, I started FF in Safe Mode, opened the site and...voila - it displayed properly.

Next steps, I believe, are:
    1. restart FF in normal mode
    2. go to add-ons page, disable one at a time and check what site looks like after each.

Have I got it?

Thanks so much for your simple but perfect solution!!

Linda

P.S. UPDATE - closed FF Safe Mode session and re-opened new session. Does this mean it's now NOT in Safe Mode? If so, what's odd is that the site displayed just fine - with all its add-ons!!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2014-10-27 at 15:10. Reason: Added P.S. Update

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Linda,

It may have cleaned out the internet cache, which could have been causing the problem.

Actually, the normal way to test when an add-on is causing a problem is to disable them all! Then add them back in one at a time.

Yes, Restarting FF will get you back to normal!

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-10-27 at 15:23.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent information and thanks. Could have been the cache: I'm behind on my Secunia PSI clean out which means my Internet cache could be clogged.

You've answered all my questions, taught me how to do a Firefox Safe Mode and the correct way to check out add-ons. All this in one short afternoon...no wonder I love this Lounge! :-)

Happily yours,

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, more information...

Looking into it further today, discovered issue is not exactly what I had thought it was...

In Firefox, display is incorrect in both "normal" and WordPress Admin mode.

In Chrome, display is perfect in normal but not in WordPress Admin mode.

As for IE...normal is fine; first two times I tried to open it in Admin mode, browser crashed!! Finally got it to open admin log in, but when I tried to view the page, it reverted to non-admin mode (i.e., no Edit capability), and displayed fine. Weird. I did manage to "open" a page from the menu in admin mode... and it was not displaying correctly.

So, does this mean I have a WordPress issue instead of a browser one?

If so, any ideas...or on what to try next?

Thanks,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2014-11-07 at 15:07. Reason: Edited for more clarity

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    FF v33.0.3 was released yesterday, perhaps updating to the latest version may do it.

I don't know if this has any effect on things although I haven't noticed any on the odd occasion I use FF, but after updating I still have the old version listed in Programs and Features, but uninstalling it takes out all of FF.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    FF v33.0.3 was released yesterday, perhaps updating to the latest version may do it.

I don't know if this has any effect on things although I haven't noticed any on the odd occasion I use FF, but after updating I still have the old version listed in Programs and Features, but uninstalling it takes out all of FF.
    Actually, I was having similar problems as IreneLinda, which I was discussing (and you, Sudo, among others, were giving helpful suggestions about) in another thread. My problem involved blank screen on videos in some websites after I updated FF to v. 33.0. Tried switching to IE 11 -- no problem on same videos. (I could use IE routinely, but prefer FF, at least when it's working correctly.) I was about to try and revert to FF v. 32.x, then FF offered update to FF v. 33.0.1 and then 33.0.2 -- the latter seemed to solved the problem. Now I updated to v. 33.0.3 when it was offered a couple of days ago, and the problem is back again! Drat!

I initially thought the blank-screen problem might've been due to unbidden and unexpected (and unwanted) add-on in v. 33.0 of "OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems," which I then disabled but couldn't seem to uninstall, and don't know if I need it or not. But that may not be causing the blank-screen problem anyway.

When I was updating to v. 33.0.3, I looked at FF bug fixes for v. 33.0 thru 33.0.3 -- Mozilla seems to recognize a bug w/ black screen and/or blank screen, but seems to think it's fixed. If it was fixed, it ain't now! I tried restarting FF (in normal mode), and also tried restarting the computer and Win 7 itself -- nothing changed, apparently. I thought I'd try going back to v. 33.0.2, but now I can't find how to do that -- FF just keeps giving me the message that I'm using the latest version. Anyone have further thoughts?

Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

KatMuse (2014-11-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Thanks -- will try this. Couldn't find it before. Going to the link, I see these 3 items:
    [DIR] Parent Directory -
    [ ] Firefox Setup 33.0.2.exe 28-Oct-2014 02:13 35M
    [ ] Firefox Setup Stub 33.0.2.exe 28-Oct-2014 02:14 238K

-- Do I want to download all? And does that replace 33.0.3, or do I have to uninstall that one manually? If I don't uninstall 33.0.3, will that cause a conflict w/ ...0.2?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the v33.02 download from http://mozilla_firefox.en.downloadas.../old_versions/ but it would be best to uninstall the newer version first.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KatMuse (2014-11-08)

Thanks
    My understanding is that you download the larger file (not the one with stub in the name), and it should replace the later version. However, I've never actually done this myself so hopefully someone who has can confirm this or state how it's done.

Some possible helpful pages
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ion-of-firefox

These two seem to give more positive info
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to...ion_of_Firefox
    http://www.ghacks.net/2013/08/27/go-...rsion-firefox/

Backup or image seem to be mandatory

15. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

KatMuse (2014-11-08)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Sudo15. Gave it a try: updated to 33.0.3, cleared cache and... same result. Can't get my site to display properly.

Checked Programs and Features and only latest FF was listed. Only other Mozilla program listed was a Mozilla Maintenance Service, 10.8.2014 date. Is it okay?

KatMuse is having different issues, but the same challenge figuring out how to correct them!

What has me puzzled now is this and other site "weirdnesses" happening on all 3 browsers, IE, Chrome and FF (my later post in this thread).

Will keep checking sites, browsers, this thread...hopefully, an answer will turn up (and for KatMuse, too!!).

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2014-11-09 at 12:19. Reason: Added quote from Sudo15

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Mozilla Maintenance Service is okay.

It seems strange that it should have spread to all browsers - tends to suggest some sort of infection/adware.

See what a scan with the free version of MBAM makes of it.

You could also try the Anvi Browser Repair Tool.

Click on each icon in the left pane to uncheck anything you don't want it to change before hitting the Scan button.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, thanks so much for the suggestions. I agree with you re. its happening across all browsers.

Run MBAM fairly regularly but will do so again to see if it finds anything; then, if it doesn't, try the repair tool, new to me as well so I appreciate your instructions on using it.

Will post back and let you know how I do...and thanks again!

Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast