Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't uninstall folder

I downloaded ADT-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702.zip and extracted it with 7-zip. I tried to find the file to run it but could not get it to work. I now have a folder that I can not delete. I now have a folder that looks like this:
    undelete problem.png

This is the error that I get when I try to delete it:
    undelete problem fig 2.png

Can anyone tell me how to delete this folder?

Ivan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to rename one / several of the top level folders to have nice short names, like "1" or "2". Then the lower paths are not too long.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Old Guy,

Just start deleting from the bottom of the chain and work your way up. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

DrWho (2014-10-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You need to rename one / several of the top level folders to have nice short names, like "1" or "2". Then the lower paths are not too long.

cheers, Paul
    There were 80 folders all total with all of the sub folders. I renamed the first 9 and then I could delete them all.

Thank you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy IK View Post
    There were 80 folders all total with all of the sub folders. I renamed the first 9 and then I could delete them all...
    In Windows a "filename" includes the "path" to the file, e.g.: a file you have named "foo.foo" in your "Documents" folder is considered by Windows to have the "filename" of "C:\User\[username]\Documents\foo.foo. Technically "foo.foo" is considered by Windows to be the file's "filetitle" (which does not include the path to the file), not the "filename" (which includes the path to the file).

There are necessary limits to how long a "filename" can be. For most purposes you can assume that any "filename" that is longer than 256 characters will cause problems.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    For most purposes you can assume that any "filename" that is longer than 256 characters will cause problems.
    Even though Windows happily allows you to create longer ones.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    ...Just start deleting from the bottom of the chain and work your way up...
    I often run into this problem when working on restoring users' files after a clean-install or new PC after having backed up the files from their old system. Most often the problem files are saved webpages, or music/video files. Often the upper-level folders cannot be renamed due to "file not found" errors, but if you "drill down" to the lowest-level folder you can delete the files in that folder then work back up through the folder "tree" deleting as you go.

This was more of a problem with XP (e.g.: "C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\My Documents\My Music" etc.) and is no doubt why Vista and later use shorter folder names (e.g.: "C:\Users\[user]\Music" etc.). Note also that with XP the default location of the special "My Music", "My Pictures", and "My Video" folders was inside "My Documents", but with Vista and later the "Music", "Pictures", and "Videos" folders are directly under the user's folder.

Don't be misled by Vista and later displaying "My Documents", "My Pictures", etc., in Explorer windows. The actual folder names on disk do not include the "My ", they are simply "Documents", "Pictures", etc.

Screenshot of "Total Commander" showing actual file/folder names with contents of C:\ in left pane, and contents of C:\Users\John in right pane:
    TC.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    FWIW I see
    SDK Manager.exe
    in the top level of the extracted dir structure if you want to try again.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps a good suggestion for W10 would be to eliminate this restriction.
    George

Thanks
    A useful tool for removing stubborn folders and files. Some AV programs flag it as suspicious, but its safe to ignore the warning.

http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker

Thanks
    If any such problem happens again, and FYI in general:
    SUPERAntispyware Premium contains a function that can delete [almost] any folder and/or file.
    Emco's Move [or Delete] On Boot can delete [almost] any folder and/or file.
    Acronis DiskDirector 11 & 12 may have a similar function -- although the disk director is not in any sense of the word another file manager.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

The solution to your problem was at your fingertips. The same tool (7-Zip) you used to extract your file is the one that will help you solve this issue. All you have to do is the following:
    1-Launch 7-Zip software.
    2-In the main window, navigate to the file or folder with a too long path that you want to delete.
    3- Select it and hold the "Shift" key while clicking on "Delete" at the menu bar.

That should work like a charm.
    Last edited by Tedpacheco; 2014-11-06 at 13:22.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedpacheco For This Useful Post:

oldabbler (2014-11-06),RolandJS (2014-11-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would say 'Welcome" to both Oldabbler and RolandJS. It's always a pleasure to help others as oftentimes others have helped me. LOL.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have in the past had similar problems with too long path and file names when working on network shares, but I usually got around them by temporarily mapping a folder some way down the problematic path to a drive letter. Then working from this temporary drive rather than directly on the network share (which effectively reduced the length of the path\filename) I could usually do the file operations that I needed to do.

Thanks
    mo.eu, I like to add your solution to my bagOtricks, would you mind giving a few keystrokes/steps of just how you do what you posted. While I'm good at fine tuning, I'm not good at conceptualizing the keystrokes/steps of your post
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-15 at 17:55.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast