New Lounger
    Thanks

external hardrive help

i have a 2 tb external hardrive and everytime i try to format it to ntsf it says its not compatible? but it also says its the default so whats going wrong?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    and no its not currently formated its raw

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are there any drivers you can download for it ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Are there any drivers you can download for it ?
    uh idk its a seagatewhat do you mean by drivers

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Crucial has firmware updates for some of their HDs so wondered if yours might.

After extensive Googling on this problem I haven't found anything on not being able to format a disk in this state as it should format - but it's possible the mbr could be corrupt.

To fix that you will need to plug in the external HDD, boot up with an install disk and navigate to the Recovery Environment via Repair your Computer option and select Command Prompt.

Enter the external drive letter followed by a full colon such as f: and press enter.

At the next prompt enter bootrec /fixboot then enter bootrec /fixmbr

Enter exit to close the command window, remove the install and external disks then restart and then try the format.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2014-11-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Crucial has firmware updates for some of their HDs so wondered if yours might.

After extensive Googling on this problem I haven't found anything on not being able to format a disk in this state as it should format - but it's possible the mbr could be corrupt.

To fix that you will need to plug in the external HDD, boot up with an install disk and navigate to the Recovery Environment via Repair your Computer option and select Command Prompt.

Enter the external drive letter followed by a full colon such as f: and press enter.

At the next prompt enter bootrec /fixboot then enter bootrec /fixmbr

Enter exit to close the command window, remove the install and external disks then restart and then try the format.
    it lets me format to exfat but i would like it to be ntsf

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    'External' I take it to mean USB2.0 hard drive. You can format to exFat; I assume then the OS is Win7 and up.
    Still, sometimes the PC hardware maybe old. It may have limit on hard drive size: no more than 1.2TB. If this is true, your PC hardware cannot handle hard drive more than 1TB. Hence cannot format to NTFS.
    ExFAT from MS is to target external storage devices. Win7 recognizes it is external device. Also, exFAT can format drive greater than 2TB.

I assume the drive and enclosure is one product. Then the USB2.0 firmware and controller chip do not have the 1.2TB limit. (Otherwise they would not put a 2TB drive in it.)
    However, if it is an after-market USB enclosure, and you buy a drive separately to put into the enclosure, then there is a distinct possibility that the enclosure electronics has the 1.2TB limit. Hence it is the enclosure problem, not the PC and OS problem.
    If it is a USB3.0 enclosure, it should be modern enough, then it could be the PC's hardware problem (1.2TB limit).