Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 99

Thread: Computer Died

  1. #1
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts

    Computer Died

    My girlfriends Win 7 Pro x64 computer.
    Today 10/27/2014, The video on the monitor started extreme jittering and I tried everything to just shut down the computer ( the curser was frozen ). I tried ctrl-alt-del etc. and nothing worked.
    I finally hit the reset button and then the computer went into a continuous loop of trying to boot ( nothing showed on the monitor, no UEFI, nothing but black ).
    All of the lights and fans would run but it kept trying to reboot over and over.
    I had made an external backup HDD for her computer so I tried that and the same sequence of events happened.
    I noticed that when I pressed the power button the HDD activity light comes on once and then doesn't come on any more during the reboot loop.
    Now the HDD activity light doesn't come on at all when you press the power button but all the rest of the lights and fans come on
    and nothing comes up on the monitor. The computer just runs and doesn't even go into the reboot loop.
    I'm wondering if the MotherBoard or CPU has a problem?

  2. #2
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Sure does sound like that. How old is it? I take it it's a desktop tower PC not, a laptop. What make? Does the HDD, still, spin? Certainly, sounds like a hardware issue. Get back to me & will talk/think further.

    Cheers,
    Drew

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger smithdoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Clovis CA
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Try new hard drive
    I have use this ever time I a bad CPU
    FYI my CPU has parts from the 1990's still work as I type
    I am on my second hard drive in five years

    Dave

  4. #4
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Sure does sound like that. How old is it? I take it it's a desktop tower PC not, a laptop. What make? Does the HDD, still, spin? Certainly, sounds like a hardware issue. Get back to me & will talk/think further.

    Cheers,
    Drew
    Desktop PC built by a reseller 2/14/2014. HDD activity light blinks once and no more, all fans, lights, etc. run. I tried a memory diagnostic test ( pull all sticks, boot and there are some faint beeps. Try each memory stick one at a time with a reboot each time ), nothing changes so I assume it's not the memory.

    Try new hard drive
    I have use this ever time I a bad CPU
    FYI my CPU has parts from the 1990's still work as I type
    I am on my second hard drive in five years
    Dave, I put in another HDD ( an external backup ) and it made no difference.

    Conclusion so far is not memory and not HDD.

  5. #5
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    BTW I emailed sellers tech support but will have to wait for an answer.

  6. #6
    Silver Lounger wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    2,377
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 147 Times in 136 Posts
    lumpy95
    If you have access to a known good power supply I would try that in the simplest configuration possible.(NO HDD just memory and CPU). See if then you can at least make it to UEFI/BIOS.


    David

    Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

  7. #7
    2 Star Lounger smithdoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Clovis CA
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I remove the only one first and is a internal work great after reinstalling the Windows
    Then I the old hard drive as a slave

    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Desktop PC built by a reseller 2/14/2014. HDD activity light blinks once and no more, all fans, lights, etc. run. I tried a memory diagnostic test ( pull all sticks, boot and there are some faint beeps. Try each memory stick one at a time with a reboot each time ), nothing changes so I assume it's not the memory.


    Dave, I put in another HDD ( an external backup ) and it made no difference.

    Conclusion so far is not memory and not HDD.

  8. #8
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    I assume the PS is good since everything else works. But unplugging the HDD'S and booting would probably be a good idea.

  9. #9
    2 Star Lounger smithdoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Clovis CA
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes
    I have use this for 20+ years I have also had CD dives go out and just unplug and ever thing work again.

    good luck
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I assume the PS is good since everything else works. But unplugging the HDD'S and booting would probably be a good idea.

  10. #10
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I assume the PS is good since everything else works. But unplugging the HDD'S and booting would probably be a good idea.
    Too bad no P/S tester available to you. I have had occasions where they seem good but, aren't (fully). But, from the further info you have provided sounds like a failed M/B.... which should be covered under warranty considering how recently machine was built.

    Cheers,
    Drew

  11. #11
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Too bad no P/S tester available to you. I have had occasions where they seem good but, aren't (fully). But, from the further info you have provided sounds like a failed M/B.... which should be covered under warranty considering how recently machine was built.

    Cheers,
    Drew
    Yeah, I don't have a tester.
    Tech support got back to me about the memory diagnostic test not showing any difference and said that since the video was jittery before the non booting problem, and since it is onboard video, that they suspect that it could still be a memory problem ( that's their #1 guess ) OR the CPU has failed.
    They want me to run the CLRTC on the MB twice with 1 stick of memory each time.
    I guess the best thing to do is try unplugging the HDDs and trying a bootup first, then if that fails, go to the CLRTC tests.
    Does that sound like a good plan?

  12. #12
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Yeah, I don't have a tester.
    Tech support got back to me about the memory diagnostic test not showing any difference and said that since the video was jittery before the non booting problem, and since it is onboard video, that they suspect that it could still be a memory problem ( that's their #1 guess ) OR the CPU has failed.
    They want me to run the CLRTC on the MB twice with 1 stick of memory each time.
    I guess the best thing to do is try unplugging the HDDs and trying a bootup first, then if that fails, go to the CLRTC tests.
    Does that sound like a good plan?
    Sure but... as I just now think about what you say about the video display, have you considered that the GPU could be the component @ fault?

    Cheers,
    Drew

  13. #13
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Sure but... as I just now think about what you say about the video display, have you considered that the GPU could be the component @ fault?

    Cheers,
    Drew
    Actually I'm thinking that either the I/O panel HDMI video connection or the CPU itself has taken a dump.
    My reasoning is this: It all started with the video jittering extremely bad, on reboot ( even now ) I can see that the optical drives go through the post routine and I get 1 flash from the HDD activity light and all fans and lights are working. NOTHING shows up on the Monitor. The Monitor works because when I first turn it on, it shows the manufacturer, etc., so it's not getting a signal from the computer in my view.
    This is onboard video from an intel i5-4570, on an ASUS H87-Plus MB
    I unplugged the HDDs and tried booting with all the same results as before. I ran CLRTC tests that they wanted ( 1 stick of RAM with each test ) and no change.

  14. #14
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Actually I'm thinking that either the I/O panel HDMI video connection or the CPU itself has taken a dump.
    My reasoning is this: It all started with the video jittering extremely bad, on reboot ( even now ) I can see that the optical drives go through the post routine and I get 1 flash from the HDD activity light and all fans and lights are working. NOTHING shows up on the Monitor. The Monitor works because when I first turn it on, it shows the manufacturer, etc., so it's not getting a signal from the computer in my view.
    This is onboard video from an intel i5-4570, on an ASUS H87-Plus MB
    I unplugged the HDDs and tried booting with all the same results as before. I ran CLRTC tests that they wanted ( 1 stick of RAM with each test ) and no change.
    Which, being onboard video, takes it back to my old suggestion of it being a M/B issue. IF, you could, trying things w/ an external vid card might prove a point or narrow things via a sort of process of elimination. But, of course, that what require having a vid card available to try.

    Actually, wait a minute... can you get into the BIOS? If not, probably IS the M/B causing the problem.

    Cheers,
    Drew

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

    lumpy95 (2014-10-30)

  16. #15
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 175 Times in 148 Posts
    Actually, wait a minute... can you get into the BIOS? If not, probably IS the M/B causing the problem.
    Nope, can't get to the BIOS, just a black screen.
    I have a feeling that the outfit we are dealing with is going to go one step at a time, starting with memory modules through the mail, so my girlfriend may be without a computer for some time and I will be catching hell from her for quite some time

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •