3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Something Weird About "Sleep" Mode in Win7

I have 2 rigs running Win7 x 64 bit and 2 running Vista enterprise x 64 bit.
    The Vista rigs shut down all fans and drives when put in sleep mode, but the Win7 rigs leave the fans running, and the drives as well I assume.
    Is this common, and is there any way to change the Win7 settings to power it down like Vista does?

Thanks,
    rstew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    I have 2 rigs running Win7 x 64 bit and 2 running Vista enterprise x 64 bit.
    The Vista rigs shut down all fans and drives when put in sleep mode, but the Win7 rigs leave the fans running, and the drives as well I assume.
    Is this common, and is there any way to change the Win7 settings to power it down like Vista does?

Thanks,
    rstew
    Sounds like they are desktops, not laptops?

Some desktops have case cooling fans connected directly to the PSU, so such fans will continue spinning at full speed until the PC is powered off.

A well-set-up desktop will have any case fans connected to "SYS_FAN" (or CHA_FAN) headers on the motherboard, which allows Windows to control fan speeds via the BIOS. Could also be a BIOS settings problem.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin
    Yes sorry, they are all desktops.
    The CPU fans are all connected to the correct 4 pin fan header, and the case fans to the chassis or sys fan headers as you suggest.
    I will have to check the bios settings and see if there is something amiss there.
    It just seems kind of odd that it's the two win7 rigs that behave this way.

Thanks,
    rstew

Thanks
    FYI sometimes software installed with chipset 'drivers' will include a front end for those settings as well. This would be less likely on an COTS unit, M/B offered to builders more likely.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    rstew - Windows 7 should be able to do a total shutdown, and leave no fans running. ?Maybe BIOS is conflicting? I want to learn what solutions you come across, thanks in advance for your experience.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/