New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Trouble running YouTube on Win8

Trouble on YouTube! Running Win 8.1 on Dell Inspiron 15z core i5 (Gen.3) with 500 GB HDD and 8 GB RAM-internet speeds are very good (streaming video pays fine on all other machines at home). For the last one week YouTube videos not playing-the video thumbnails show along the time line when I click on play button but it consistently gives “Error encountered” message-whether connected via Ethernet or wi-fi. I can play any YT video from another computer on my same home network (and this machine plays back streaming video from other sites fine). Tried all browsers-IE 11, Chrome, Firefox-same problem. Tried all the usual suggestions-clearing cache, running av and malware-to no avail. Updated flash player, tried HTML 5 player etc. Again-no use. On the same machine I have an administrator's account and my son’s account (non-administrator account-monitored by windows family safety) and both accounts same problem seen, although strangely on my account when I installed Firefox and did NOT import any setting or cookies from other browsers when first prompted it seems to play the YT videos! So I went into my son’s account and cleared all the cookies and the cache on Firefox-even uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox but it still gives the same error message on all browsers (updated to latest versions etc). Any help would be appreciated. I could do a repair reinstall of Win 8.1, I suppose or restore a custom image from an earlier time but I wanted to exhaust all other options first. (BTW I did do a system restore to one month ago when all was well but the problem persists). Thanks in advance...

Thanks
    Try disabling the family safety, reboot and check again for YT playability.
    You might also try adjusting browser security settings temporarily too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

DSP316 (2014-10-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint (BTW-I like your profile pic-one of my favorite actors is Terrence Hill and the movies he did with Bud Spencer are still great to watch). I did wonder if 'family safety' had anything to do with it. I had blocked YouTube for a week and then opened it up. Till I blocked it, it was fine but then after I unblocked it and allowed access, this problem began. My only problem is how to disable family safety without removing all the personalized settings (like blocked internet sites etc). Any suggestions? If I do it remotely on the web, it is warning me that if I stop monitoring his account this would remove his account's personal settings like those blocked pages etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Try disabling the family safety, reboot and check again for YT playability.
    You might also try adjusting browser security settings temporarily too.

Thanks
    No, I have not seen any way to save all of the settings.
    You will, in all likelyhood, have to reinitiate them from scratch.

Maybe someone with more experience with the use of that may advise further.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

DSP316 (2014-10-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved. I removed my child's account on the Family Safety website and voila! Everything works on YouTube now. But all the settings like 'blocked pages' and curfew settings were still available on there. But it did say I had to add my child's account on his machine in order to be able to enforce and monitor his activity. Then after verifying YouTube worked on my child's account (which had now reverted to "Standard account" on his account on his laptop-that's what "Removing" a machine on the Family Safety website does, I discovered), I again, made it into a "Child account" and chose the option to manage settings on the web (these setting are shown once you change the child's account to "Child account") & now I can continue to monitor the activity and all the previous setting are still as before with the exception that now YouTube is allowed (I have 'Safesearch Lock' and 'Open DNS' which add a safety net, but by no means completely prevent circumvention by a savvy teen who is bent on accessing forbidden sites, but then you can only do so much-the problem with such behavior will not entirely be fixed by external restriction for which only an internal motivation can truly address, but then I am digressing here). The YouTube site now on the "Action taken" shows as a green check mark unlike before even after I unblocked it, it had been showing green with an yellow check mark meaning some block still in force. Strange behavior but I guess Family Safety was still blocking the videos even after I put it in the allowed list. Anyway, I hope that helps somebody facing a similar issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On going saga...once I made my child's account to a "Child account" and then set up Family Safety, even though all the settings are preserved, it still keeps blocking YouTube videos from playing-the site itself is not blocked. If I revert back my child's account to "Standard Account" then the YouTube videos play back fine. Somehow Family Safety database is corrupted it appears that it keeps blocking the videos from playing-funny that it does not block access to the site itself. Any suggestions short of (1) Leaving the child's account as "Standard Account" and rely on other modes of safety (not preferred) or (2) Set up a new Family Safety Account with a new email and password and then add the child's account to that Family Safety? Any suggestions?