Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Adobe Replacement

I'm finally giving Adobe Acrobat the boot and am looking for a suitable alternative. Since I no longer am making forms all I really need is something that will allow me to print to pdf be it either a document or photo. This will be installed on a Win7 Ultimate laptop.
    PDFLite looks pretty decent but Im looking for user suggestions.... thanks
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Foxit seems to be a popular substitute for Adobe http://filehippo.com/download_foxit

Thanks
    I've installed Foxit reader and I like it - seems much better than Adobe. I tried PDF-XChange Viewer but Foxit beat that as well. Usual caveats when installing - custom and read each page.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm just starting to get acquainted with PDF Fusion from Corel for creating .pdf files from the scanner.
    http://www.wordperfect.com/us/produc...id=prod4100140
    It's not free but certainly much much cheaper than Adobe Acrobat. Some programs such as for greeting cards have the capability to print to .pdf such as Print Artist.

Thanks
    I am using Acrobat 4 on windows 8.1 and 10 working great

Dave

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I've installed Foxit reader and I like it - seems much better than Adobe. I tried PDF-XChange Viewer but Foxit beat that as well. Usual caveats when installing - custom and read each page.
    My experience is similar. I used to use PDF-Xchange with Bullzip pdf printer, but Foxit does both and is fairly lightweight.
    Also agree about custom install, look out for Foxit Cloud which you may not want.

Thanks
    Having tried several other programs, I now use Primo PDF. Using the basic option, creating a pdf is as simple as dropping a document onto the desk top icon, or you can use a comprehensive advanced menu.

http://download.cnet.com/PrimoPDF/30...77.html?tag=bc

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2014-10-29 at 06:21.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I have tried both Foxit & Nitro with mixed results. Actual printing of a PDF was spotty. Documents were not always formatted correctly or were missing graphics. This was a couple of years ago and both may be better now.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I use Nitro 3 and am fairly happy with it. I moved to Nitro a few years ago after not being too happy with Foxit.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I use Foxit Reader and am very happy with it except for one sole exception. It installs Foxit Cloud with no options to surpress the install. This means I have to manually un-install Foxit Cloud after every automatic update. Apart from this very annoying behaviour I've had no problems and prefer it to other alternatives I've tried.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Foxit several years ago, but then changed to PDF X Change; but the latest Foxit 7 version caused me to revert and other than the Foxit Cloud annoyance I mentioned earlier and to which Rick Corbett concurred, I think it is a good lightweight alternative to the Adobe behemoth.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a familiar confusion in this thread between Acrobat and Acrobat Reader, and their replacements.

Acrobat is costs a fortune ($30/mo. directly from Adobe was the highest I could find) and if you own a working copy why in heaven's name would you dispose of it?

The Reader is free, and has lots of imitators. Sumatra is the most compact of the readers, and that and some of the others are portable - you can put them on a stick.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably due to that confusion Adobe changed the name of the free version from Adobe Acrobat Reader to just Adobe Reader, I think back at about version 6 or 8 [I've had both with 8 as an upgrade].

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used CutePDF Writer ("http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp")for several years and have not had any problems with it. It functions like a printer and I have not found any app that can't use it. It has always produced good pdf files from all Micro$oft products.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    my experience with cute is that it included too much spyware and crap stuff with it

unless they have changed i would not consider their programs at all

Quote Originally Posted by rwshreve View Post
    I've used CutePDF Writer ("http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp")for several years and have not had any problems with it. It functions like a printer and I have not found any app that can't use it. It has always produced good pdf files from all Micro$oft products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast