Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 N and Media Player

Folks, I've struck a problem with my Win 7 system and I can't seem to find, just with a general web search, any suitable solution, so I'm turning to the Windows Secrets community who've helped me out before.

A few years ago, when I changed up from XP to Windows 7, I found a genuine, shrink-wrapped copy of Windows 7 Ultimate N on an auction site at a very good price, so I bought it, installed it and have been using it ever since. Incidentally, I don't remember what the price was, but it was a significant saving over RRP, and in view of this problem, perhaps I *should* have asked *why* it was so good!

At the time, I had no idea that the "N" version was the special, stripped down EU version that didn't include Windows Media Player and associated media software, amongst others. I discovered that recently when I went to install a 3rd party package that required the presence of WMP. Then, I found that MS has a "media package" (KB968211) that can be downloaded and installed and will reinstate the WMP functionality to the system.

So I downloaded it - Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg.msu - and found the package won't install. The first time it failed, it seemed to "hang", for hours, before I finally cancelled it. The main result of that failure was that it filled up my C: drive with a log file that took up over 80 GB. I did various clean-ups and updates to my system to make sure that there wasn't something seemingly unrelated that was causing the problem, and tried again to install the package, but it still hangs at the point in the install process just after I accept the terms and conditions. Again, I let it sit and again, it filled up the C: drive and again, I'm no closer to having WMP on my system.

Does anyone know how to get this package to install? I *have* found *some* information about it on the web, but none of it has been at all helpful.

My system details are:

System Model: Dell Inc. OptiPlex 755
    Processor: 3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo; 64 kilobyte primary memory cache; 6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache; 64-bit ready
    Main Circuit Board: Dell Inc. 0PU052
    Drives: 0: Seagate 250.00 GB; 1: Iomega USB 160 GB; 2: Seagate USB 2TB
    Memory Modules: 4 Gigabytes as 4 x 1GB DIMM
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate N (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) - fully up to date

Thanks and kind regards,

Noel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    According to the Details in http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=16546 you should have been prompted to select the files you want, but even if it was downloading both the 32 and 64 bit versions, that would still only be ~580MB.

Do you get the option of Run or Save on the download as selecting the Save option you will be able to see the size of the file without it filling up C: - or why not just use VLC ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    G'day Sudo15!

I may not have been really clear about the problem. I *have* got the right download. It just doesn't install! I have seen other references to this problem on the web, but I haven't come across a solution. Other people have had their installation hang while it fills their C: drive with multi GB, meaningless log files.

As for VLC, I have that also. And it's great for all sorts of media stuff. BUT ... certain 3rd party products - Nokia Suite to name one - *will NOT install* unless Windows Media Player is present on the system! There MUST be a solution out there somewhere. After all, there's heaps of Windows N users throughout the EU who'd be using software like Nokia Suite, software that MUST have WMP.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help. I do appreciate it, even though I didn't make the problem properly clear.

Cheers.

P.S. No, I'm *not* going to buy a different phone! ;-)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You were clear about the problem which is why I suggested saving the download to look at the size of the file.

MS has a Fixit for program install problems you could try to see if that makes any difference, but I don't know why or where the 80GB is coming from.

http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/p..._and_uninstall

Thanks
    Have you tried the "add new features" on the "system page"?
    It would seem to me that any stripped down EU version would plenty of options under the above properties.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Lounger
    Thanks
    G'day folks. I apologise for not replying sooner, but my health hasn't been the best and I've been away from my computer for a while.

First, to Sudo15!

I understand what you meant about the downloads, and I did save it, it was the correct one and was, as you said, only about 300MB. But it's not the problem. The CBS.log file generated by the install is the problem. It, if you leave the "hung" install hanging long enough, will grow big enough to fill all available space on the C: drive. In my case, at the moment, that is 139,371,470,848 bytes (or 129GB).

Also, you are correct about MS having a " ... Fixit for program install problems ... " but, in fact, they have "Fixit" programs for lots of install problems. The one you directed me to actually "Applies to ... Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 ... " in all its many forms.

To CLiNT.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the EU version is *really* stripped down! So much so that the "Turn Windows features on or off" list doesn't mention *anything* about Media Player or any of its other modules.

And RolandJS.

Thanks to you too for the suggestion, but that's a link to the Media Player package that goes with the "ordinary" version of Windows, not the "N" version.

So, I'm still stumped. There *must* be a way to install this thing but I'm blowed if I can find it! I've read suggestions like uninstalling SP1, installing Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg.msu and then reinstalling SP1, but that is old information (2009-ish) and doesn't take account of the fact that the refresh package is designed to be installed on systems which have SP1 installed.

So folks, I'm still open to suggestions. And thanks again to everyone who's tried to help so far. This seems to be a really knotty problem. I know *a* solution would be to (re)install a different version of Windows but I'm reluctant to attempt that as it would probably take a week to get everything backed up, uninstalled, reinstalled, activated, updated, restored ... Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all ...

Regards.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just wondering if it would be worth doing a repair install to freshen up your OS and then try the WMP install again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

If you do decide to do this, don't forget to back up your drivers folders first from C;\Windows\System32 and then you can drop them back in afterwards.

You could also check to see if a sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt finds anything amiss.

Did you try saving the download and then try a manual installation ?

Still don't have an answer as to where the 80GB is coming from though.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-08 at 08:34.