Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to add temporary user on XP Pro laptop

My girlfriends computer died, the link is here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Computer-Died
    Since I am not making much headway with the seller as to getting the computer parts/or fixed any time soon, I was wondering how to set her up with a temporary user account on my older XP laptop with XP Pro on it.
    I would like to be able to let her use it and then be able to just delete her info off of it when she doesn't need it anymore and not let her into any of my info on the laptop.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm certainly no expert at any of this.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Right click on My Computer, then choose Manage. Expand Local Users and Groups, then click on Users.

Right click on the Guest account, then click Properties. Uncheck Account is Disabled. At the bottom, click OK.

She can now use the Guest account to log in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-10-29)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Right click on My Computer, then choose Manage. Expand Local Users and Groups, then click on Users.

Right click on the Guest account, then click Properties. Uncheck Account is Disabled. At the bottom, click OK.

She can now use the Guest account to log in.
    Does she need my password to login or is this after I have booted the laptop and she just uses the Guest account?
    I assume that when she isn't using it anymore that I disable the Guest account and all her info is gone?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Simply disabling the account won't remove her info, only access to it. To completely remove her information, you have to delete the account. Rather than use the Guest account, I would just create a new account for her. You can then assign a password for it and set it to never expire.

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-10-29)

Thanks
    Thanks Jerry,
    So when she's not using it anymore, I just delete the account?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Thanks Jerry,
    So when she's not using it anymore, I just delete the account?
    Yes. That should wipe out all her information including documents and pictures. Programs she installs will probably remain. When you get it back I would run the following:
    Full anti Virus scan wit the AV app you are using
    Full Malwarebytes scan (Download from www.malwarebytes.org)
    AdwCleaner scan (Download from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ )

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks again Jerry. That is probably the course I will take.

Thanks
    IIRC with Windows XP when you delete a user account it gives an option to save personal data from the account to a folder on the desktop, maybe useful for a backup?

Thanks
    If you create an account for her, make it a standard account, not an administrative account. And make sure that her folder structure under C:\Users is gone after you delete her account.

My reason for giving her the guest account was so that she wouldn't have rights to anything.

Thanks
    My reason for giving her the guest account was so that she wouldn't have rights to anything.
    Uh Oh, now I'm confused again.
    Basically I was looking for an account for her so that she could check email, facebook, etc. and ask her to not save anything to the computer and I could delete all presence of her when her computer is back up and running.

Thanks
    The folder under C:\users will get deleted when you delete the account but it doesn't hurt to check. IE Browser data should be deleted as well.

Jerry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-10-31)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The folder under C:\users will get deleted when you delete the account but it doesn't hurt to check. IE Browser data should be deleted as well.

Jerry
    Actually Jerry, OP was asking about "XP Pro laptop" so is not C:\users\[username]

Rather it is C:\Documents and Settings\[username]
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Basically I was looking for an account for her so that she could check email, facebook, etc. and ask her to not save anything to the computer and I could delete all presence of her when her computer is back up and running.
    No problem.

Go to Control Panel/User Accounts then create a new account for your girlfriend. Set a password if you want. If you want her to be able to install programs etc. then make it an "Administrator" account, otherwise "Limited". Once you are finished with the extra account then go back into Control Panel/User Accounts and delete the account (you will be presented with an option to "delete all files").
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-11-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You could, of course, make an image copy of the system drive(s), then create the temporary account. When she's finished wit it, restore the image copy and she was never there!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Making a temporary account for her is exactly the same process as making a permanent account. When she's finished with it, you just delete the account. You'll get asked whether to save her documents and settings; that'll be your call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast