2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to setup/use SSL Windows 8.1

Want to learn to set up SSL or TSL as a client. I guess that is required.
    But, found a problem relating to update K2919355 which as I understand it makes it impossible to run SSL under windows 8.1 and that a fix is forthcoming but as far as I have seen is still being worked on.
    Is this a problem with 8.1 or with the servers if 8.1 has this update??

I found a scenario from Univ. Tenn. but it appeared relevant only to those on its network(s). Are there other tutorials? My search strings do not uncover them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    Want to learn to set up SSL or TSL as a client. I guess that is required.
    But, found a problem relating to update K2919355 which as I understand it makes it impossible to run SSL under windows 8.1 and that a fix is forthcoming but as far as I have seen is still being worked on.
    Is this a problem with 8.1 or with the servers if 8.1 has this update??

I found a scenario from Univ. Tenn. but it appeared relevant only to those on its network(s). Are there other tutorials? My search strings do not uncover them.
    According to Windows Secrets Newsletter Issue 454 2014-10-23 Protecting yourself from POODLE attacks by Susan Bradley SSL is old technology that is vulnerable to exploits and so should be avoided. Apparently TLS is newer technology to replace SSL.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have Win 8.1 and I can view and use web site via SSL (https). My mail client also use TLS.
    What are you attempting to do?

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    Is this a problem with 8.1 or with the servers if 8.1 has this update?
    Enterprise (WSUS) servers. Home users were not affected: Windows 8.1 Update (KB 2919355) prevents interaction with WSUS 3.2 over SSL

But Microsoft fixed this by a revised update within a week anyway: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2959977

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Enterprise (WSUS) servers. Home users were not affected: Windows 8.1 Update (KB 2919355) prevents interaction with WSUS 3.2 over SSL

But Microsoft fixed this by a revised update within a week anyway: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2959977

Bruce
    That dispels the my confusion on that point.
    Apparently I am trying to do what U have done, i.e. set up my 8.1 so I can use SSL and learn about TLS. Suggestions, directions, or large mallet would be helpful. Have never used either ssl/TSL.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you use a web browser or an email program, it's extremely likely that you have been using SSL and/or TLS.

Instructions for recommended settings in various web browsers were mentioned in post #2.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-11-02 at 09:41.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SSL/TLS makes a secure encrypted connection between your PC and a remote machine. You don't need to set anything up as your software already understands what to do, all you do is tell it to use SSL/TLS, generally by selecting the correct option.
    Is there a particular use you had in mind?

cheers, Paul