Thread: network monitor

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

network monitor

I learned about a "network monitor" for windows but when I try tracking it down the M$ knowledge base defers to "message analyzer" or something.
    Is network monitor now deceased? Is it available somewhere other than from Microsoft? It did not appear at first blush that what was substituted was as useful as Network Monitor.

I took a course on Network Security from a local college some time ago and would like to have it for my toolkit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    I learned about a "network monitor" for windows but when I try tracking it down the M$ knowledge base defers to "message analyzer" or something.
    Is network monitor now deceased? Is it available somewhere other than from Microsoft? It did not appear at first blush that what was substituted was as useful as Network Monitor.

I took a course on Network Security from a local college some time ago and would like to have it for my toolkit.
    See Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 (archive). According to "System Requirements" it will work on XP, Vista, Win7, & Win8, but is no longer being developed.

"...Microsoft Message Analyzer is the replacement for Network Monitor 3.4. Microsoft Message Analyzer supports the latest protocol parsers for capturing, displaying, and analyzing protocol messaging traffic, events, and other system or application messages in troubleshooting and diagnostic scenarios. It is a significantly more powerful tool for capturing and analyzing protocol messages. Message Analyzer continues to undergo improvements and has an active user community. You can find more information on the Download page".

HTH
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx 4 UR response was just what I needed to confirm.