Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 Build 9841 Problems

I had a lot of problems with the preview when it was installed on the second of 3 partitions on a GPT disk, so I formatted that partition and added the unallocated space to the first partition.

I have now installed the preview on an MBR disk, and have the following problems:

1.Periodically Internet Explorer crashes.

2.If I restart the Restarting window with the spinning dots stays on screen for hours, unless I use the power button to restart.

3.I have tried many times to download Build 9860, but every time I click PC Settings the window opens but closes in a flash.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2014-11-01 at 02:30.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Reinstall. Remember Win10 is very incomplete at this time. When multiple problems crop up a reinstall is the best thing to try.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, hello.
    Even if TP is a beta, I would be glad to use it as. Your re-install advice is not needed here, in all humility. I do not have any of the many problems as noted here. If the OP does not clean up his machine before installing, he will encounter the very same problems as before, methinks. I installed on a flushed HD on this old Lenovo and narry a problem. What I am doing wrong ? This is not a criticism of your advice, far from it, just a testimonial to a valuable OS, W10-TP as it is, I am on 9860.
    Be good! Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I must say, from how nicely my Win10 runs damn hard to tell anything is "incomplete". I'd would have to have one problem before I could have "multiple problems".

But, yes, that's the thing about testing... if it's overwheiming, toss it & start anew. And report issues via Windows Feedback.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Jean & Drew,

Win10 is not even to beta stage yet. Microsoft freely admits there are many holes. It does no good for the OP to say you have no problems. Without an extreme amount of detail about the hardware and software there is no better solution than a reinstall for Win10 at this point in time.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I did say re-install.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have build 9860 and have already tried Refresh and reinstalling at least 3 times, and have no wish to do so again, as the problems remain each time, and it takes a long time to reinstall my programs.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Fair enough, Roy. Here are 2 suggestions for you to try. I reckon they ought to work on 10 same as previous Windows. They are both MS offerings not, 3rd Party.

Repair IE

MS Fix It

Cheers,
    Drew

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, yes, you are right. My saying that it works fine here was to trigger a "mind-searching" from the OP. I use a very basic machine and all is fine. In my circle of helped users, none of them are on 10TP yet, I find that most of them will run two or more anti-virus apps and then complain that their machines are slow. There is a mindset to develop here, too much of a good thing is at times a negative. As I did, a clean install on a virgin HD, seems to be the way to go.

Jean.

Windows 10OS.jpg

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, I tried both of the suggestions in your post #8, but they didn't make any difference.

Any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Sorry, Roy, honestly, no... not, besides, throwing it all away & redoing fresh from scratch which, I know you do not want to do.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, the following is an extract of the post I submitted in another thread in the Beta Software forum:

"However, after rebooting into Win 7 for a while on a whim I rebooted into Win 10, and much to my surprise IE worked. Occasionally still I get the completely blank white page, but most times it opens normally. One odd thing-if I try to open Windows Secrets Lounge from my taskbar icon I get the blank white page, but if I open it from my IE bookmark it opens normally."

Whilst IE was open I clicked all add-ons and disabled Google Toolbar and Google Toolbar Helper, Flash Player and Java.

That just leaves the restart problem.

Roy Whitethread

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Roy,

Refresh my memory, please about the restart problem. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Drew

PS: It's ok, Roy, I found it. Didn't realise you had things in 3 threads. I'll answer it in its thread.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-11-08 at 20:28.