Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Very slow SSD 4K read speed

My WD black 1tb drive used for data would randomly Freeze with a loud hum. So I upgraded to a Crucial ct960 SSD. I noticed the folder that held my downloads was still slow loading medium icons when opening the file first time after restart. So i checked it with CrystalDiskMark. The 4K QD32 read was 1.201.
    My primary drive is a crucial M4 128 SSD so I tested it also and it read 1.87.
    I went back to when I first installed and tested the M4 in August of 2011 and the read speed was 245.5. What happened?
    In 2011 the M4 was installed on a Gigabyte CA-P55A UD3 with a I7 868 2.8GBT and windows 7 32Bit. In June of this year I replaced the Gigabyte P55 with an AsRock Z97 Pro3 and a I7 4790 3.6GBT. A couple weeks ago I updated to 64Bit windows 7 and did a clean install on the M4.
    Which brings me here, to a problem I have not found an answer to. I've been Goggling for days and have found nothing that is the same as my problem or fixes that relate.
    Only thing I can think of is the Motherboard. Help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matidor; 2014-11-02 at 10:05.

Thanks
    It could be a partition alignment problem.

http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-s...ve-performance

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    It could be a partition alignment problem.

http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-s...ve-performance
    That was the first thing I checked and I did have to Align the partitions. Didn't make a lick of difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Matidor,

Very Interesting as I get similar results on both my SSD & HDD!

SSD: SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB
    CrystalDiskSSD.JPG

HDD: Segate ST1000DM0003 1TB
    CrystalDiskHDD.JPG

Must be something about the 4K algorithm.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Similar results from the Crucial M4 256 in my laptop: (SATA II)
    LTSSD-ASSSD.JPG

Note: I used AS SSD (available from Major Geeks) for this test. This program does NOT require an install so it can be run from a USB key and it also reports on the Alignment Status, see the yellow highlight.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-11-01 at 09:14.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Ditto for my wife's Dell XPS14z w/Crucial M4 128Gb
    JanetsSSD.JPG

FYI: When I first ran AS SSD it showed that the partitions were NOT aligned! I'd recently restored a HDD backup to this SSD assuming that since the PC had Win 7 from the start the partitions would have been aligned on the HDD but not so! I used Partition Mini-Tool Home Editioin 8.1.1 bootable CD to realign all the partitions in one fell swoop...great tool even if it is mini.

BTW: The installable S/W doesn't create the bootable CD you have to scroll down the download list to the .ISO at the bottom.

Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-11-01 at 11:18.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Matidor,

Very Interesting as I get similar results on both my SSD & HDD!
    Must be something about the 4K algorithm.

HTH
    Actually, think your numbers look pretty normal for scandisk and the numbers for the seagate are why we like our SSDs

Thanks
    Results are similar on my drives too as far as 4K goes.
    I don't think it's your motherboard either, even if you haven't updated your
    BIOS or chipset drivers recently.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-11-01 at 23:42.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Results are similar on my drives too as far as 4K goes.
    I don't think it's your motherboard either, even if you haven't updated your
    BIOS or chipset drivers recently.
    The clean install with windows 7 64Bit was done with all the latest drivers. I have not updated BIOS, Just for fun I'll look again
    to see if there is anything new. But I am now of a mind that would not be the problem. I am perplexed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same situation with my Samsung 840s and I have seen tests on places like Tom's Hardware which all have the same type of numbers on 4K reads and writes. It must be systemic to this size read/write pattern.

Has anyone asked their manufacturer for an explanation?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billrice View Post
    I have the same situation with my Samsung 840s and I have seen tests on places like Tom's Hardware which all have the same type of numbers on 4K reads and writes. It must be systemic to this size read/write pattern.

Has anyone asked their manufacturer for an explanation?
    I was looking thru Crucial and Samsung's forums but have been busy of late. I've been all over crucial's site Its hard to find how to contact a real person from these sights. A real answer would be nice.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can get Live Chat at Crucial http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-contact

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You can get Live Chat at Crucial http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-contact
    I'm a one finger typist but I'll gonna give it a shot.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Chat session started at 11:16:31 Please be patient while you are being connected with an operator ... You are now chatting with Samuel Samuel:Thank you for contacting Crucial.com. How may I help you today? Ted:I'm slow So I have problem with ssd speed My WD black 1tb drive used for data would randomly Freeze with a loud hum. So I upgraded to a Crucial ct960 SSD. I noticed the folder that held my downloads was still slow loading medium icons when opening the file first time after restart. So i checked it with CrystalDiskMark. The 4K QD32 read was 1.201. My primary drive is a crucial M4 128 SSD so I tested it also and it read 1.87. I went back to when I first installed and tested the M4 in August of 2011 and the read speed was 245.5. What happened? In 2011 the M4 was installed on a Gigabyte CA-P55A UD3 with a I7 868 2.8GBT and windows 7 32Bit. In June of this year I replaced the Gigabyte P55 with an AsRock Z97 Pro3 and a I7 4790 3.6GBT. A couple weeks ago I updated to 64Bit windows 7 and did a clean install on the M4. Samuel:Just a moment and I will look into this for you. It may take a couple of minutes, so please bear with me. Ted:Ok . That was a copy and paste from a post i made on windows secrets forum. Samuel:So the M4 is not as fast as it used to be? Ted:True The m500 ct960 new and slow also Samuel:So the issues you are currently having are with an M500? Ted:The m4 is was primary and 960 data. I have since removed the m4 and partitioned the 960. so only the 960 is in use now, so yes Samuel:One moment, please. I am checking on something regarding this. While I am doing this, can you tell me has the firmware ever been updated on this SSD? Ted:No I checked and the firmware is the latest as per crucial . I think it was mu5. not sure letters Samuel:Okay. Thank you. I am still looking into this. I was going to mentioned a firmware update. We do have a level two technical support team that I can direct you to as well. Ted:Ok Samuel:If you would like you can contact our Technical Support department at 1-800-336-8896 (U.S. and Canada only) or at 208-363-5790. Our contact hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Mountain Time). They can also be messaged at crucial.service@micron.com Ted:If i have stumped, Ok thank you for your time Samuel:You're welcome. I was happy to assist you. Thank you for visiting Crucial.com, and have a wonderful day.
    1 of 111/10/2014 11:53 AM

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Obviously someone with a limited CS repair script - at least they have Toll-Free number you can use in the US and Canada - are you going to give them a bell or use the e-mail route ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast