Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Password reset Win 8.1

HP Pavilion, Windows 8.1 will not accept last known password after regular update session; need help as usual.

My HP Pavilion, started with W8 and upgraded to 8.1, is a never ending problem for me. I leave it on and it hibernates.

It usually sits under my desk but the other night, I got it out to try something. I got distracted and when I went back, it had started a windows update - Do not shut your computer down! When that finished, it wanted a password so I entered the OneDrive PW I had used previously and written down. That was rejected. I don't remember setting a new pw but I'm 74, one never knows.

A thread in Win7 forum suggested using Petter Nordahl-Hagen's "Windows Change Password," which I did and it returned an error "The disk contains an unclean file system. The NTFS file system is in an unsafe state." It originally found the system hibernated and, without a password, I cannot shut it down normally. I used the shutdown button in the lower right of the password screen.

This machine has no disk drive, it had win8 on it when I bought it so, of course, I did not make a password reset disk.

Perhaps I should be more cognizant of the fact that it takes very little for me to reach my wits end but that's where I am.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Alas, this is the one I referred to as Petter Nordahl-Hagen's "Windows Change Password," a name I read from the text file. It found the system hibernated and when I clicked on "bust the hibernation," I got the "unclean file system" message. (Unclean! UNCLEAN!)

My situation is a bit messier.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    Alas, this is the one I referred to as Petter Nordahl-Hagen's "Windows Change Password," a name I read from the text file. It found the system hibernated and when I clicked on "bust the hibernation," I got the "unclean file system" message. (Unclean! UNCLEAN!)

My situation is a bit messier.
    You'll need to get past the "unclean file system" error before having any real chance of resetting your password.

To do so you'll need to run a filesystem repair scan on your Win8.1 partition. In your OP you said "this machine has no disk drive" - I take that to mean it is a laptop and doesn't have a CD/DVD ("optical") drive? If so, then probably your best option is to take the HDD out of the laptop, connect the HDD to a SATA port in your desktop PC, and boot the PC.

At some point while Windows is starting up it will probably run a chkdsk scan on the laptop HDD and repair any filesystem errors. Let it run; after some time (probably 5 to 30 minutes) the scan will finish and Windows will continue to load. Once Windows has finished loading, turn it off and refit the HDD to the laptop.

If chkdsk doesn't run during Windows startup you will need to run chkdsk on the laptop HDD from an elevated command prompt:

chkdsk d: /r
    [enter]

Replace "d" with whatever drive letter Windows has assigned to the laptop HDD.

Once the filesystem errors are repaired it is quite possible that the laptop will operate as before (I have worked on many computers that had filesystem corruption affecting the Windows registry causing the same kind of behaviour as your laptop, which came good after running the chkdsk scan).

Otherwise (e.g.: if removing the HDD from the laptop is not an option) you could run a chkdsk scan from a BartPE CD but would need to have access to a USB CD/DVD drive.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin,

Mine is a Pavilion laptop which, unlike my older laptops, has a cover on the bottom and I don't know how to get the drive out.

I have a version of Bart's PE on my W7 machine that I haven't used in years. Can I run it off a 4G USB memory stick?

I'll get to this tomorrow.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    ...I have a version of Bart's PE on my W7 machine that I haven't used in years. Can I run it off a 4G USB memory stick?...
    I attempted to set up a USB thumbdrive with BartPE about a year ago. I followed the instructions in this SourceForge Article. After several hours and repeated attempts to get it to work I decided it wasn't worth the trouble so gave up on the idea. And I now see that the website that had the necessary "PeToUSB" download seems to have disappeared, and Google search results aren't encouraging.

It makes more sense to me to use a USB CD/DVD drive and boot from a BartPE CD.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin,

Give Rufus a try. I just used this today to create a USB key with Partiton Wizard Mini-Tool loaded from and .iso file. HTH

FYI: I needed this for my wife's PC when I discovered that the partitions on the newly installed SSD weren't aligned properly. It's a one click operation with the Mini-Tool

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Coochin (2014-11-01)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Coochin,

Give Rufus a try...
    Thanks RG, I've had a look at "Rufus" (looks good).

When I was looking at setting up Win10 TP I stumbled upon this webpage with instructions on using Windows' built-in tool "DISKPART" to create a bootable Win7 USB thumbdrive for installing Win7. Mostly out of curiosity I followed the instructions using a spare 8GB USB thumbdrive, with no problems. From memory it took about 30 to 40 minutes (most of which was to copy the contents of a Win7 DVD). I then used the thumbdrive to do a clean install on a customer's Win7 PC, again with no problems.

I am thinking I'll try using either Rufus or DISKPART on another spare thumbdrive and copy the contents of a BartPE cd to it (it'll either work or won't).

As it stands though, if Dan (stonecherub) has a Win8 DVD he might be able to use either Rufus or DISKPART to create a Win8 bootable USB thumbdrive. He could then boot from it and use the "repair my computer" functions to repair the laptop's filesystem.

Thanks
    Used Rufus to make a 1GB USB thumbdrive bootable, and ended up with "FreeDOS" on it. Copied the contents of a BartPE CD to it. Booted from it on one of my PCs; it went into FreeDOS; I attempted to launch BartPE from within FreeDOS, but got a "incompatible" error.

Ran DISKPART on the same 1GB thumbdrive and worked through the HowTo linked in my #8 post, except that instead of copying the contents of a Win7 install DVD I copied the contents of a BartPE CD. When I tried to boot from it there was a "BOOTMGR is missing" error. I made some changes to settings, but the best result I could get was a Win7 "startup failure - please insert your Windows DVD then press any key to restart your computer.

So I looked back through my "stuff" and found "PeToUSB v3-0-0-7" and it's "HowTo". Re-built the 1GB thumbdrive with "PeToUSB" on an XP PC that has the BartPE "PEbuilder" on it which I last used in March 2014 to create updated BartPE CDs. Booted from the thumbdrive on a different PC, it started into BartPE, I was able to run programs and access the PC's HDD, and I ran a "chkdsk c: /f" scan no problems.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Coochin,

Did you change this setting to ISO?
    rufusiso.JPG
    HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Coochin,

Did you change this setting to ISO?...
    I noticed the ISO setting but wanted to check out FreeDOS. Could be useful in some situations, but not as useful as BartPE (I often use Total Commander in BartPE to back up customers' files from sick HDDs, and to run chkdsk /r scans).

The BartPE USB thumbdrive I set up using "PeToUSB" is still working fine (I've used it on another PC, and a laptop, both Win7, since and everything works).

At present I don't have another spare USB thumbdrive available, but when I find one will try the Rufus ISO method.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Back to the original problem.

I finally got a chance to mess with it today and, at first, I searched for a way to open the screw-less laptop. Using two less-than-stirling youTube videos (both came with inane ads) and suggestions from their comments, I had the bottom off.

I put the drive on my Win7 machine and ran the disk recovery twice. The first pass said no errors and the second told me it had moved some files to a recovery directory.

On rebuilding the machine, I ran Petter Nordahl-Hagen's "Windows Change Password" again and this time, it seemed to work but, on re-boot, I was asked to "Enter your sign in information and try again." after hitting enter with no password.

Using a space as a password, it says "offline" and asks for the last password used on this PC.

Does HP have some kind of default PW?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What the hell, why not?

Went back to zero, removed and scanned the disk, reinstalled and then re-ran WCP.

Because of the hibernation problem, I had to blow it off. At step 4 - Writing back changes;

"cat: can't open /tmp/disk :No such file or directory
    Writing SAM

***** EDIT COMPLETE *****

reboot into win 8.1 Enter
    "Please enter your sign in information and try again."

Wit's end!
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin sent privately:
    <<<I have seen this problem a few times on customers' Win8/8.1 computers after running "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" (Petter Nordahl-Hagen). From memory there was an arrow icon in the upper-left of that window, which I clicked to access the other user account. After I clicked the arrow there were two user account icons, one for the "Microsoft Account" (stonecherub@gmail.com in your case), and another for the user's "local account" ("dan" in your case).>>>

My Win 8.1 upgraded has no arrow upper right, upper left, bottom, nothing!

I restarted, Pressed esc to get the startup menu, F11 for system recovery.

Chose keyboard US
    Troubleshoot
    Advanced options
    Next screen has no Windows startup settings, it has "UEFI firmware Settings" instead
    Command prompt goes to X:/Windows/system32
    cd to c:/windows/system32
    msconfig --> This app can't run on your PC

Since I can get to a command prompt, Can I call up a login screen from there?

Am I ever going to get control of this thing, myself?

Can I take it to the friendly (expensive) geeks on the corner and have them break the password problem?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    ...Since I can get to a command prompt, Can I call up a login screen from there?...
    Can you get into Safe Mode as in this HowToGeek article?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast