New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't connect PC

I got a new modem/router and the network is fine and connected, except one pc. It's running Windows 7.

Windows says it's connected, no errors in the mini tray. When I troubleshoot the network it says my modem is having issues, which it isn't.

I've tried doing these things:
    rebooting the modem
    ipconfig
    uninstalling the adapters
    trying different adapters
    make a new network
    making sure the network is correctly configured
    turning off power option on adapters
    turned off ipv6

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I'd appreciate any help

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Francis Burton View Post
    ...When I troubleshoot the network it says my modem is having issues...
    Do you get a reply if you "ping" the modem/router? E.g.:

ping 192.168.1.1

(or whatever your modem/router's IP is).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I can't.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Francis Burton View Post
    No, I can't.
    Since you say in your OP that other computers on your network are connecting w/o problem, then the problem is isolated to this single Win7 PC. "When I troubleshoot the network it says my modem is having issues" therefore indicates corruption of the networking components on that particular PC.

I suggest you should download Windows Repair (all-in-one) to one of your Internet-connected computers, and transfer the setup file to the sick PC using a USB thumbdrive. Install and run "Windows Repair" on the sick PC, but make sure to follow the recommended steps within the program (besides other things, it repairs Windows' networking components).

Please post back and let us know how you get on.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you open a command prompt on the affected computer and enter ipconfig /all

Right click in the text area, click on Select All - press enter then paste that into Notepad or Wordpad then copy the file to a working machine with something like an USB Flash drive then copy & paste it into the Reply box.

Sometimes an AV program can block connectivity so boot up into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you have the same problem.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-01 at 08:17.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After some tinkering, I can now ping the router. Ipconfig shows the computer is using the wrong dns suffix search list. It's trying to use an old one and not the new one. How can this be fixed?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    DNS search suffix is usually set by the DHCP server. If you have the wrong one you may have it set manually on that PC.
    You need to check the DNS setting of the network adapter is using automatic for both IP and DNS. Also check the advanced settings for manual DNS configuration. See attached screen shots.

cheers, Paul
    1.png2.png3.PNG