New Lounger
    Thanks

How to retrieve contacts from dead Outlook

Hi folks. I hope this is the appropriate forum.

A friend of my sister put Office Pro 2007 on her PC for her to try it out. She's not very computer wise and I don't think she realised it was going to time-out without prior registration. Her friend had also imported a large amount of Contacts for her but they now can't find the file the contacts were imported from I assume it was a CSV. So now she is left with just the Contacts in Outlook, which has now gone into reduced functionality due to non-registration. Import/Export is grayed out.

I have convinced her she really has no need of the Office suite and they should have just set up Windows Live Mail in the first place, as that's all she really needs. She certainly doesn't want to be paying hundreds of dollars for a full featured MS Office which she'll never use.

So I've been trying, so far without success, to find out if there's any way to retrieve the Contacts from the now partly dead MS Outlook 2007, so they can be imported into Windows Live Mail.

Any chance do you think?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can get the files, but they will not open unless they are associated with Outlook. So, what needs to happy is to get the files, migrate them to a machine that has a working copy of Outlook open them export them and then bring them back to the source machine as a fully functional .csv format. Then you can import them and all is well. The files are located in the users "AppData" folder. Just do a Google Search on the location of the PST files for the version of Outlook and get all the files. Also a full "back and Restore" using Windows Backup and Restore will automatically back up those files.

Thanks
    You could download Everything Search - www.voidtools.com and then type in .csv in the search box. If the csv file is on her PC, everything search will find it.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertek View Post
    You can get the files, but they will not open unless they are associated with Outlook. So, what needs to happy is to get the files, migrate them to a machine that has a working copy of Outlook open them export them and then bring them back to the source machine as a fully functional .csv format. Then you can import them and all is well. The files are located in the users "AppData" folder. Just do a Google Search on the location of the PST files for the version of Outlook and get all the files. Also a full "back and Restore" using Windows Backup and Restore will automatically back up those files.
    Thanks for the reply Cybertek.

I can find the PST files easily enough.

Are you suggesting that I should take the entire PST file to another PC, import it into Outlook on that machine, then export the Contacts to a CSV file from within that Outlook?

I was under the impression that Contacts weren't stored in the PST file, but sounds like I was wrong on that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You could download Everything Search - www.voidtools.com and then type in .csv in the search box. If the csv file is on her PC, everything search will find it.

Jerry
    Thanks jwitalka. I'm familiar with Everything (very useful little app), but apparently the original CSV file was imported from a USB pen drive, and that's gone missing. The original CSV definitely isn't stored on her computer anywhere.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    I was under the impression that Contacts weren't stored in the PST file, but sounds like I was wrong on that?
    Contacts are stored in the .pst file.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    On occasion I've had success in locating the Contacts Folder in C:\Users and the user name then copying that to another location, only problem is it may not be as complete as what was in Outlook.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Take the PST to a PC that has office installed and open the PST from within that Outlook.
    You do not need to import anything, just OPEN the PST within the good version of Outlook.
    Then export the contacts to a CSV file.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    A friend of my sister put Office Pro 2007 on her PC for her to try it out
    If she does want an Office application, try the free LibreOffice. It reads MS Office files and will save them as well - it's all I use.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used this procedure many times, it works as long as the source .PDST file has not been corrupted or jacked up. Glad I could help, yet me know the outcome if you don't mind, SALUTE!