New Lounger
    Thanks

MS's really hidden files

New to the Lounge! Hello to everyone. Has anyone read the following article: Microsoft

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS's really hidden files

I recommend you ignore the story. No-one with any knowledge of Windows would recommend that a user delete the file win386.swp. This file is what Windows uses as a Swap File. In other words this is Virtual Memory. When Windows runs out of physical memory a portion of the hard disk is used to store the programs that are open but not in use.

The files in the Temp folder and the Temporary Internet Folder are however quite safe to delete, although the TIF files are indexed. There have been a number of discussions regarding the merits of different approaches to deleting them throughout this forum.

I see nothing new at the site other than abuse aimed at Microsoft.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mike, Thanks for the reply! I took the steps outlined in the article and was able to free up 75MB of disk space with no apparent negative result. I can see how someone who has used the net extensively for a long period of time might see hard disk savings of hundreds of MB.

Although I don't know why he recommended to delete the win386.swp the system startup reconstructed the file upon reboot.

Didn't know what if anything here was new to Loungers and thought it might be of interest to some - it certainly was to me!

Lounger
    Thanks

I went and read the article and to me it doesn't appear to be a big deal. What it looks like is some kind of schematic naming system that the programmers came up with to store the temp. internet files. You're going to run into cases all the time of someone having an image on their page named something like main.jpg for example, and 5,000 other pages will have a different image with the same name. So in order for IE to keep the images in cache so you can access the pages quicker the next time, it has to have a way to keep track of all the different ones with the same name. Otherwise it would just end up overwriting files all the time. That's what it seems like to me anyways. The article itself seems a little overboard. It was more venting than letting you something that should be done on a regular basis. But if people want to go delete all those temp. files, have at it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dragon,

I agree. The 'expert' that wrote that article obviously has a problem with Microsoft.