New Lounger
    Thanks

Safe way to completely remove MS Office?

Hi all, I have a problem that windows update keep giving me updates for Office 2007. I have had MS office XP, 2007 and Word 2010 installed earlier, but they were uninstalled via Programs and features in win 7(32bit Enterprise). Nonetheless Windows update keeps giving me updates to Office 2007.

I have tried using ccleaner but its not removing all, I also tried the following MS fixit

MicrosoftFixit50154.msi
    MicrosoftFixit50416.msi
    MicrosoftFixit50450.msi

And after that I restarted my laptop.

But they keep being offered by WU.

I have found some entries in this forum and followed all that applied to me, but none have helped - Though I have not used Regseeker or Revo uninstaller yet since I'm a bit carefull to what I do on my system.

Unwanted updates.png

The above is a screenshot of the updates offered when I checked a few minutes ago.

My system is Windows 7 32bit Enterprise, running on Lenovo Thinkpad R61 with 320GB HDD and 2 GB RAM, I'm using libreOffice 4 instead of MS Office, but have previously tried openoffice 3, Star office, Office 602 and others to find the one that suited me - the winner were LibreOffice 4.

Of course I can hide the updates, but more and more keep comming, and that means i have to do that everytime there are updates - instead i really like to get rid of MS office for good.

BTW, MS office folders still exist in Program files - even after running all the MS fixit.

Any help will be greately appreciated

With kind regards

JBJ
    Last edited by insomniacno1; 2014-11-01 at 08:37. Reason: misspelled word

Thanks
    Have you looked at this article?

Mr White purports to have a modified vbs file to do the job, but YOU should have an image based backup
    in the event something goes sideways.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you don't have any other MS programs that require WUs then you can go into Windows Updates/Change Settings and uncheck the button for MS updates - OK - and then you'll just receive the normal WUs.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-02 at 04:55.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If you don't have any other MS programs that require WUs then you can go into Windows Updates/Change Settings and uncheck the button for MS updates - OK - and then you'll just receive the normal WUs.
    Hi Sudo15, thank you for the advice - but sad to say its not a good idea to turn off MS updates, you can end up with an windows where updates always fail after 45%. I have seen it happen on several systems and it takes forever to fix - last time it took me 6 hours and another time half a day(because slow internet and all the MS fixit that I needed to download + repair tools).

So be careful with that advice, it may work on your systeme but might not on someone elses

With kind regards

JBJ

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by insomniacno1 View Post
    Hi Sudo15, thank you for the advice - but sad to say its not a good idea to turn off MS updates, you can end up with an windows where updates always fail after 45%. I have seen it happen on several systems and it takes forever to fix - last time it took me 6 hours and another time half a day(because slow internet and all the MS fixit that I needed to download + repair tools).

So be careful with that advice, it may work on your systeme but might not on someone elses

With kind regards

JBJ
    Strange that - as MS updates aren't enabled by default - only Windows Updates are, which are separate.

I dumped the trial version of Office 2010 that came preinstalled on this laptop but was still left with the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system (as listed in Programs and Features) and that has attracted MS Office updates on mine - have you checked to see if you have that listed as installed ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-03 at 18:16.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The Office Compatability Pack must be uninstalled separately. Also, check to see that you don't have any of the office viewer products installed (i.e. Word viewer, Powerpoint viewer).

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Revo Uninstaller to remove MS Office 2003 from my Win7/SP1 system, and the Windows Updates for Office seemed to stop. I still get all the updates for Windows.
    I have used Revo for years without problems even though I always use the most thorough cleaning setting (Advanced). I always do a complete image backup first before a major removal like that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Strange that - as MS updates aren't enabled by default - only Windows Updates are, which are separate.

I dumped the trial version of Office 2010 that came preinstalled on this laptop but was still left with the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system (as listed in Programs and Features) and that has attracted MS Office updates on mine - have you checked to see if you have that listed as installed ?
    Hi Sudo, that was the culprit Its gone now and so is the office updates Thank you so much

with kind regards

JBJ