Thanks

Unable to write to DVD drive

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on an old Dell Optiplex 745 (8 GB RAM) and all of a sudden I can not write to my DVD drive. I can read CD-ROMs and DVDs, but not write to either media. I've just updated Win 7 via the control panel, and there was no improvement.

Suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    MS has a fixit for that you could try http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/c...drive_problems
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-05 at 18:21.

Thanks
    If the fix doesn't work, one of the lasers has probably failed.

Thanks
    ?Possibly slow down the write speed within your normal CD/DVD write utility? ?Could it be time to reload the CD/DVD drivers? I have to slow down the writing speed within Cyberlink Power DVD 9 because I'm using "older CDs & DVDs" back in the days when 8x-16x speed was "WOW!" [remember DOS & Windows 3.x 1x-4x days?]. Apparently for me, slowing down the write speed makes the CD and DVD easier to read by nonComputer CD/DVD players.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ?Possibly slow down the write speed within your normal CD/DVD write utility? ?Could it be time to reload the CD/DVD drivers? I have to slow down the writing speed within Cyberlink Power DVD 9 because I'm using "older CDs & DVDs" back in the days when 8x-16x speed was "WOW!" [remember DOS & Windows 3.x 1x-4x days?]. Apparently for me, slowing down the write speed makes the CD and DVD easier to read by nonComputer CD/DVD players.
    ImgBurn is a free burner tool that does that by default http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn

Thanks
    Sudo: OK, my paid for Cyberlink Power2Go 9 [in error, earlier I said PowerDVD 9] - it defaults to the top-end it believes the drive and the CD or DVD blank is capable of. I have to click on either 8x or 16x.
    Websquad: it might be possible that a particular brand or two of CD/DVD blank will not work well in some CD/DVD writers. Have you changed brands recently?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Sudo: OK, my paid for Cyberlink Power2Go 9 [in error, earlier I said PowerDVD 9] - it defaults to the top-end it believes the drive and the CD or DVD blank is capable of. I have to click on either 8x or 16x.
    Give it a try by burning another disk of whatever you've used Power2Go for.

I think ImgBurn defaults to 3 or 4x for me.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-05 at 17:06.