Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Do 'Fixers' fix anything?

    Long story short: I had an annoying problem -- virus(?) -- that caused a pop-up to repeat ads about every ten seconds, bringing productivity to a stop. I searched the root web site and a bunch of 'Fixers' came up. I picked one that was 'free' (it wasn't, of course) and paid about $5. The problem seems to have disappeared.

    Some questions:

    1. Is it likely that the disease and the cure came from the same company? This one assures me they are Microsoft approved, McAfee approved, etc. but...

    2. In a few days they will bill me $40+ for another year. I assume it is worthless beyond the initial fix. Is it?

    3. McAfee would have charged $80 to make the fix so I assume the $5 fee was worth it. True? Or should I get my $5 back?

    4 Finally, the big question. I always experience this sort of crap when I put the computer away for a few weeks while I go mobile. McAfee says "Hey! You didn't keep up the updates so we aren't responsible for a virus creeping in!" Since the computer was turned off for quite a while, what am I supposed to do when it comes on line to update security?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,620
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 877 Times in 839 Posts
    I would e-mail them to decline the $40 renewal and contact your bank to stop any money being withdrawn from your account - and shy away from any tune-up programs.

    What is the program you paid $5 to have it fix your problem ?

    AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool are free programs that can usually get rid of adware/Toolbars but sometimes you would need a robust anti malware scanner like the free version of MBAM.

    The AdwCleaner site includes a link lower down the page for JRT.

    I use Norton 360 and when the machine has been switched off for few days, that can warn me that the Definitions are out of date and that my computer could be vulnerable, so that's nothing to worry about.

    With Norton you can do a manual check for updates but don't know if McAfee has the same option but they normally update themselves, although Norton 360 can stop IE connecting when it's out of date and I have to Run live update first.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    6,121
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 609 Times in 557 Posts
    As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't have had to pay anything.
    The trouble with "fixers" is, if you don't know enough about them to know the difference between
    legitimate and scamware, leave well enough alone. There's just too much scamware out there.
    You could, and may still, find yourself in worse trouble than you started.

    Adw or MBAM would have likely done the job.
    I know this site would have walked you through a solution provided you were ambitious enough to follow through.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

  4. #4
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    I'm taking your advice

    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't have had to pay anything.
    The trouble with "fixers" is, if you don't know enough about them to know the difference between
    legitimate and scamware, leave well enough alone. There's just too much scamware out there.
    You could, and may still, find yourself in worse trouble than you started.

    Adw or MBAM would have likely done the job.
    I know this site would have walked you through a solution provided you were ambitious enough to follow through.
    You're right. I was panicked by not being able to get any work done and had to work fast. Thanks for the advice. We'll see how it turns out.

  5. #5
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magna View Post
    Long story short: I had an annoying problem -- virus(?) -- that caused a pop-up to repeat ads about every ten seconds, bringing productivity to a stop. I searched the root web site and a bunch of 'Fixers' came up. I picked one that was 'free' (it wasn't, of course) and paid about $5. The problem seems to have disappeared.

    Some questions:

    1. Is it likely that the disease and the cure came from the same company? This one assures me they are Microsoft approved, McAfee approved, etc. but...

    2. In a few days they will bill me $40+ for another year. I assume it is worthless beyond the initial fix. Is it?

    3. McAfee would have charged $80 to make the fix so I assume the $5 fee was worth it. True? Or should I get my $5 back?

    4 Finally, the big question. I always experience this sort of crap when I put the computer away for a few weeks while I go mobile. McAfee says "Hey! You didn't keep up the updates so we aren't responsible for a virus creeping in!" Since the computer was turned off for quite a while, what am I supposed to do when it comes on line to update security?
    I have read the other answers & there is nothing wrong w/ them. Here is my answer to you, for you in bullet form:

    1. Do not touch, use or pay good money for those "FIXER" things.

    2. I am not wanting to open up a debate but, I am not a fan or McAfee or Norton. As an IT Pro, Consultant I have spent a lot of times removing them from customers machines and, certainly, never recommend them.

    3. Recommendations, going forward...
    a) Use Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender
    b) Install FREE Malwarebytes & run it wkly or biwkly & when you suspect something may be awry.
    c) Install SpywareBlaster selecting Manual Updating which, keeps it FREE. Update it, @ the very least, wkly.

    4. Regular use of CCleaner is strongly advised

    5. Keep Windows Updates current & up to date.

    The above is simple, FREE, works well, mostly auto and gives very, good results.

    Cheers,
    Drew

  6. #6
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Good advice

    Thanks. I will take all these steps.

    BTW, the 'Fixer' didn't work on the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    I have read the other answers & there is nothing wrong w/ them. Here is my answer to you, for you in bullet form:

    1. Do not touch, use or pay good money for those "FIXER" things.

    2. I am not wanting to open up a debate but, I am not a fan or McAfee or Norton. As an IT Pro, Consultant I have spent a lot of times removing them from customers machines and, certainly, never recommend them.

    3. Recommendations, going forward...
    a) Use Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender
    b) Install FREE Malwarebytes & run it wkly or biwkly & when you suspect something may be awry.
    c) Install SpywareBlaster selecting Manual Updating which, keeps it FREE. Update it, @ the very least, wkly.

    4. Regular use of CCleaner is strongly advised

    5. Keep Windows Updates current & up to date.

    The above is simple, FREE, works well, mostly auto and gives very, good results.

    Cheers,
    Drew

  7. #7
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,522
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 170 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magna View Post
    Thanks. I will take all these steps.

    BTW, the 'Fixer' didn't work on the problem*.
    Terrific and you're welcome

    *And, I'm not surprised

    Cheers,
    Drew

  8. #8
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,730
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    Both online fixers and HD-based fixers have mixed reviews, results.
    I use several different specific-fixers instead of the SwissArmyKnife ones.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  9. #9
    5 Star Lounger RussB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •