Lounger
    Thanks

Solution for Sharing Internet Connection

Hi,

I myself and my friends are currently sharing an Internet connection with 15 Laptops and 5 desktops having no bandwidth restriction, hence the Bandwidth of 200 GB gets exhausted in 20 days instead of a complete month gets over. We are not sure which user uses more. since we are a small home group, we cannot afford a New router setup. please suggest me an economical way to handles this issue ?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Assuming your router has no stats available you would need to add a hardware monitor between your machines and the internet connection. Using an old PC with 2 network cards and pfSense, m0n0wall or smoothwall will provide monitoring and control, but without knowing your set up I can't say whether it will work. How are your PCs connected to the router and internet?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mohanss,

If I read your post correctly? You're problem is that your internet plan limits you to 200Gb per month and you can not afford to get a plan with no data limit.

Here is an article on 5 free monitoring programs for Windows that will tell you how much each user is consuming. I don't have experience with any of these so you're on your own as to which to choose. However, I would make a choice and install the same program on all machines for consistency.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope I do not want to measure individual Bandwidth Usage or consumption.

All I want is a setup to limit the user with his share. We are a bunch of 20 users limited to download 200 GB per month, so I want to limit each User to 10GB per month without installing a App in all the individual system. please suggest me an economical way to handles this issue ?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You either need a router which will do the bandwidth limiting for you, or install another hardware device. Software on each machine won't work unless you can prevent the users removing it.
    If you tell us your set up we can suggest what may be possible.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I briefly looked into this for a small guest-house that offers free WiFi to its guests, and even a fairly high-end Draytek Vigor router didn't have any facility to limit data transfer by connection.

If such a hardware facility exists, I doubt it will be cheap...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did you look into a WRT variants? Gargoyle seems to do it.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks will look into it. Please do suggest is there any cloud server available for my requirement ?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No cloud service will help, the solution has to be local and you will need to manage it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    PaulT, I'm with you, a good solid solution will not be cheap. I found a few $50/yr products that will limit TIME, could not find one limiting bandwidth-usage. Many excellent monitoring products, like FirePlotter, however, there's no mention of limiting powers. PaulT, you're correct, whatever Mohanss82 installs or activates, he will have to be the PowerThatBe to limit users' bandwidth, in realtime, all the time.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohanss82 View Post
    Nope I do not want to measure individual Bandwidth Usage or consumption.

All I want is a setup to limit the user with his share. We are a bunch of 20 users limited to download 200 GB per month, so I want to limit each User to 10GB per month without installing a App in all the individual system. please suggest me an economical way to handles this issue ?
    These 20 users probably have 2 or 3 devices each. All the suggestions so far may limit usage per device, but I can't think of any solution that will limit usage to 10GB per user. I believe your only practical solution is to get an unlimited connection. It should not be too expensive when you split it 20 ways.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To limit data per user you need to use a captive portal on your network, then the user logs in and has a quota for all devices.
    pfSense and Smoothwall will do captive portal, OpenWRT may do it - I've not checked.

cheers, Paul