Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Tech Preview Build 9860-Mystery Services And Internet Explorer

In Services I have something called AllJoyn Router Service. Is this safe?

I also have mystery services listed, namely Dcp service and various services with the prefix vmic. Are these services, none of which is running, safe, and what purpose do they serve?

Apart from the above Internet Explorer constantly crashes in Win 10. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Honestly, even after some reseach, I'm not dead certain about all the Services you mention. But, they can be ignored & are not unsafe. I believe the ones starting w/ 'v' relate to Hyper-v.... although, they are not common to Win8.1 and, of course, both OSs have Hyper-v. Don't be surprised if you discover differences between 10 & other Windows OSs... there are going to be differences. Also, don't sweat these betas, too much... they are a work-in-progress, remember.

I am curious as to whether you are running 10 as a VM or what (??)

Now, as to IE crashing, wil give you an educated guess since mine is stable as a rock. Most likely cause is Add-ons & or 3rd Party toolbars & all that sort of thing; that's what I would suggest you check 1st. Unneeded, unwanted Add-ons can cause problems. How frequent is this? and what exactly to you mean by "crashes"? When it stops & resets a webpage by itself? OR ____?

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew1903, I appreciate what you say about differences, and that 10 is very much a work in progress. No doubt the "mystery services" will no longer be mysteries in a later build.

I am running 10 on a hard disk dedicated to that OS, not in a VM.

With regard to IE, sometimes it opens normally, (it usually does when I open Windows Secrets Lounge from the taskbar icon) at other times it opens my home page normally, then again at times it opens a completely blank page, and often I can't close the window and have to use Task Manager to do so. Even when my home page opens normally, once I try to navigate to other sites it often freezes, and when that happens the whole system freezes, and the only thing I can do then is to use Ctrl + Alt + Del and then sign out and back in.

I will try disabling add-ons one at a time, and will post back with the result.

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Fair enough, Roy. Sorry, but, since I am experiencing no negative issues w/ IE on Win10 I can only make educated guesses or suggestions. Are you using the native security? Any 3rd Party software installed that might be causing havoc? Anyway, looking forward to hearing more from you.

Btw, the 1903 is not needed. My name is Drew, numbers had to be added years ago when securing my computer user name for various things.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-11-03 at 14:16.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, when I opened IE this morning it worked normally. That was after I deleted it from Windows Features, restarted, and then reinstalled IE and restarted. I have since disabled Java, and hope IE remains stable now.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Drew, when I opened IE this morning it worked normally. That was after I deleted it from Windows Features, restarted, and then reinstalled IE and restarted. I have since disabled Java, and hope IE remains stable now.

Regards, Roy
    Roy,

Good to know & I hope so, too. I will say, that often pinning down a cause for something can be challenging and often uninstalling & re-installing works wonders.

These days, many people just put Java in if & when something needs it or for something that needs it & then, take it back out, again. Although, your issue wasn't necessarily tied to Java; but, no biggie not having Java in, really. Could have just been a beta OS hiccup.

Anyway, that's for the update on this. Don't hesitate to speak w/ me over this or whatever else.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew,

The IE problem in Win 10 is back and I don't know what else to try. When I try to open IE a blank white page is displayed for about 10 seconds, then the page closes itself, so I can't experiment with disabling add-ons.

Do you have any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try starting IE with all add-ons disabled. If it runs correctly then start enabling add-ons one at a time until it fails.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Drew,

The IE problem in Win 10 is back and I don't know what else to try. When I try to open IE a blank white page is displayed for about 10 seconds, then the page closes itself, so I can't experiment with disabling add-ons.

Do you have any other ideas?
    Roy,

Would you, please, do a Refresh. I just don't want to not be pissing about doing this & that. You, already, removed & re-installed IE. I'm not going to bother you w/ a bunch of scans, repair tools or diagnostics. Just, Refresh & let's how it does after that. Ok, please? There's corruption or malware somewhere.

You won't lose data... just have to reload a couple of applications.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, since IE opens with a blank white page I can't get to internet options to disable add-ons. Is there any other way to do so?

Roy Whitethread

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Roy,

Internet Options & Programs tab

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, doing a test here. Jean.
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    To start IE with no add ons, just type the following command into the Windows search box to launch a bare-bones Internet Explorer:

iexplore.exe -extoff

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I did as you suggested and IE then worked, but after I restarted the problem returned. The only add-ons installed were Google Toolbar and Google Toolbar Helper, and the problem remained with those disabled.

I have already tried Refresh and reinstalling 3 times, and do not wish to do so again as it takes too long to reinstall all my programs.

Roy Whitethread

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Roy, even though things persisted when disabled, for me, I never recommend & always discourage the installation & use of Toolbars, google or otherwise, for whatever it's worth.

Cheers,
    Drew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast