New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Start Menu not allowing organization

I'm running Win 7 64Bit and just recently I noticed that my Start Menu is being sorted alphabetically. I looked at the option
    "Sort All Programs Menu by name" and it is UNCHECKED. I can drag and drop items wherever I want but when I log off, then on again, they're back the way they were. Also when I drag and drop I sometimes end up with the item in both places. When I log off and back on, it's back to the original order. I haven't ever noticed this behavior before so I assume something got screwed up somewhere. I really hope someone has seen this and has an answer because I do not want to reinstall Windows just to fix this problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also when I drag and drop I sometimes end up with the item in both places
    On Win7's Start menu and the left column there's 2 sections.

The upper section is static, stays the same until changed by the User. That's the section that is affected when right-clicking an icon and choosing Pin to Start menu.

The lower section is dynamic, changes over time as programs are used.

On the computers I've worked with and mine there is a very fine thin line that separates the two sections. Items in the lower section can be dragged to the upper section and positioned as desired. There's a couple of settings in Properties of the Start button, Start menu tab that can be changed if desired.

As for being in both places, those in the lower section can be right-clicked and choose Remove from this list. Those in the upper section can be right-clicked and choose Unpin from Start Menu.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton... I think what you're speaking of is if you have the option turned on to "Highlight newly installed programs" and/or show "Recent Items". I only have one section displayed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So those are all recent items displayed dynamically and you don't have any pinned items. The place to organize is under All Programs (or pin some favorite programs to the top).

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I apologize for maybe not explaining my problem well. In the start menu, I have single shortcuts and other shortcuts within folders. Like a single entry for Internet Explorer, then Word, Excel, Powerpoint within the folder Microsoft. I would like to intermix the single shortcuts and the folders,
    not all single shortcuts sorted a-z, then folders sorted a-z. Hope this helps.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I think you mean the Start, All Programs menu as that appears to fit your description. The only way I ever found was by renaming, such as putting a tilde ~ at the beginning of the name or by creating new Folders to move similar programs into, e.g. Graphics, Productivity, Video, etc. Windows does prefer having program icons first followed by Folders for programs.