3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Startup menu not launching

I don't know if this is a Win 7 issue, but I'm thinking it is. I use a program called "Mailwasher", which I have set up to start when I boot up my computer. Entering "shell:starup" in the search's Start menu shows me there is a shortcut in that startup file, but the program does not start like it has been doing properly until a couple of weeks ago. I don't recall changing any settings in the program, and the box is checked to "launch when Windows starts up". Any thoughts?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try putting msconfig in the Start, Search box or press Windows + R and type msconfig to assure there is a checkmark on the program in the Startup tab?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I looked at the programs in the Startup tab in the system configuration file and see that Mailwasher is not listed. I know the box is checked in the actual program settings. I don't know what I need to do to get that to translate to the system configuration file.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've always taken the absence of a program intended to run at startup/in the background as meaning the program either is not installed or isn't set to run as desired.
    Maybe something here?
    http://www.firetrust.com/products/ma...sked-questions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by k32rem View Post
    Okay, I looked at the programs in the Startup tab in the system configuration file and see that Mailwasher is not listed. I know the box is checked in the actual program settings. I don't know what I need to do to get that to translate to the system configuration file.
    I use Mailwasher myself. From memory whenever I have installed Mailwasher the installer places a shortcut in one of the "Startup" folders.

Click "Start" then right-click "All Programs" then click "Open" or "Open All Users" then double-click the "Startup" folder to view its contents (if any). If there is no existing Mailwasher in either "Startup" folder, then you could copy and paste a Mailwasher shortcut from your Desktop or Mailwasher's folder in the "All Programs" menu.

I prefer to not have Mailwasher start with Windows, rather I have it "pinned" to my Taskbar.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

k32rem (2014-11-07)

Thanks
    I use MailWasherPro 6.5.4 and have it under Delayed Start in WinPatrol Plus. If it does not start, I go to Process Hacker 2 and Restart it. Sometimes the icon does not appear in the Task Bar, but when I click the icon in Quick Launch, I usually get a 'Program is running' message. This means that when mail is located by MailWasher, the icon will reappear flashing and I have full access to the Program. 6.5.4 might be old, but it does exactly what I want without all the fancy garbage they added to their later versions. (I hope MS allows use of Quick Launch in WIN 10, I would be lost without it and I despise Icons cluttering my Personalized Home Screen. I have 66 icons in QL, which is faster than using Windows Explorer to access each program.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hammondmike View Post
    ...I hope MS allows use of Quick Launch in WIN 10...
    Vista had "QuickLaunch", but it was discontinued in Win7.

Not a problem; I simply created a "QuickLaunch" folder in Documents, copied the shortcuts I wanted to it, then added the folder as a toolbar on my taskbar (right-click Taskbar, point at Toolbars, click "New toolbar..." and browse to the "QuickLaunch" folder).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2014-11-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin - thanks so much! It worked perfectly. I created a shortcut on my desktop from the program file and dragged it to the Startup file, as you suggested, restarted my laptop and, Voila! Thanks again!