Thanks

Experience with Avast, Emsisoft, MBAM: autofix part or quarantine whole zipfile?

I have Avast, Emsisoft & MBAM set to remove and quarantine a whole zipfile rather than auto-fix or attempt to remove only the problem portion. Have any of you had great success with auto-fix, attempt to fix the broken part of a zipfile [cotaining several or many files]? What has been your experience[s]?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I am not aware of any setting within Emsisoft to deal with such situation. Sorry.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You're right, Emsisoft quarantines any problem found. I believe MBAM also quarantines any problem found. Only Avast can be set to either ignore, or attempt to fix, or move to chest. I think attempt to fix means removing any part and parcel within a zipfile or archive file that is the problem. What I do not know is: does fixing mean removing an added-viri and leaving the good stuff entact, or does fixing mean removing the infected formerly-good file[s].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Never used Avast, so I fear I cannot help with that question, either.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    hey, no problem -- maybe this can simply be a thread that discusses advantages/disadvantages of choices we make within configurations. For example, I have Avast quick scan M-F 0500, full scan 0700 Sat & Sun. Other programs do their thing at assigned times. Most of the scheduled scans are quick scans or regular scans. I've been experimenting with scheduled scans and choices such as remove whole archive file [within Avast], accepting default quarantining within other programs.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I rarely do full scans, I tend to rely on live detection. I just do a random scan from time to time.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    ruirib - I also rely on live detection, however, because no one program can ever catch everything that is out there, I run scheduled scans to ensure nothing gets by the live detection too long. And, sometimes, our choices unknowingly invite spyware, crapware, etc. -- and the scheduled and/or full scans catch our mistakes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ruirib - I also rely on live detection, however, because no one program can ever catch everything that is out there, I run scheduled scans to ensure nothing gets by the live detection too long. And, sometimes, our choices unknowingly invite spyware, crapware, etc. -- and the scheduled and/or full scans catch our mistakes.
    I use a couple of live scanners simultaneously. Anyway I think the regular scheduled scan only makes sense if done with a different AV / antimalware app.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Correct! I have several scans run by several programs. Not having just one program running several scans.