Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbnails suddenly disappeared

This is a Win7 Pro with 8Gb of RAM. Everything was fine until yesterday. I do graphic work and rely on thumbnails in all folders. Starting yesterday, none of my thumbnails are showing when I open a folder. I timed it tonight and I left a folder with 27 small jpgs in it open for 47 minutes. Only two of the jpgs became pictures, the rest remained blank icons. I use a specific software that shows pictures of some proprietary file types and this software is also taking extraordinarily long to display the pictures. If I close a folder and reopen it, I start from scratch with blanks. I did not disable the thumbs cache.

I have tried eliminating the thumbs caches and that didn't solve the problem - they have been rewritten but aren't working correctly. I have unchecked "Always show icons, never thumbnails", reinstalled my specific software for those odd file types, reinstalled a graphic program for the jpgs, restarted the machine at least a dozen times and nothing is fixing the problem. I get the green bar at the top and it just never seems to come back. The disk does not appear to need to be defragged. I have run a deep scan with my antivirus software to be sure that it isn't malware.

I had not installed anything new prior to this problem.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions? I'm completely out of business if I can't see the graphics in explorer. Help!

Thanks,
    GiGi

Thanks
    ?I'm wondering if a System Internals' utility or some optimizer utility turned off generating of thumbnails? I'll be listening in, want to learn the solutions.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    First thing I would try is a system restore back to when it was working. Other than that, generally it doesn't sound like a good idea to make uncommon format images compatible in explorer itself because any sort of corrective procedures are going to replace files and folders with known good ones even though that may not be the desired outcome after modification.
    Did you try other drives to make sure it wasn't a possible hardware problem?
    Just how proprietary are the formats? So much so that no other program could handle them independent from explorer like Irfanview or XnView or Faststone?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2014-11-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ?I'm wondering if a System Internals' utility or some optimizer utility turned off generating of thumbnails? I'll be listening in, want to learn the solutions.
    I don't know what that is - could you tell me where to look to see if there is problem? The thing is, if I leave a folder just sitting there open, I will get the thumbnails. They just take about 15 minutes each to appear (which is next to useless). I'd appreciate any directions you could share on this.

Thanks!
    Gigi

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ggmcbreen View Post
    ...I have unchecked "Always show icons, never thumbnails"...
    There are many posts about this problem in various other forums. There are two "fixes" which seem to have worked for many posters:

1. Open Control Panel/Folder Options

2. Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

3. Click "Apply"

4. Uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

5. Click "Apply"

6. Exit Control Panel/Folder Options

7. Refresh (or close and re-open) the folder window and the thumbnails should generate

The other "fix" is to install the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack which will install a full collection of known-good codecs and remove or repair any bad codecs.

K-Lite also includes "Media Player Classic" which I prefer instead of Windows Media Player.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    First thing I would try is a system restore back to when it was working. Other than that, generally it doesn't sound like a good idea to make uncommon format images compatible in explorer itself because any sort of corrective procedures are going to replace files and folders with known good ones even though that may not be the desired outcome after modification.
    Did you try other drives to make sure it wasn't a possible hardware problem?
    Just how proprietary are the formats? So much so that no other program could handle them independent from explorer like Irfanview or XnView or Faststone?
    Thanks for the suggestions. The system restore failed and there are no other restore points available. I am an embroidery digitizer and my digitizing software creates the pictures of the designs I have made within its program. This software is used world wide and I have it on four machines. It just stopped working on this one computer and I noticed that I no longer see jpgs or embroidery files as thumbnails when I first open a folder. If I leave the folder open on the desktop long enough, the thumbnails will appear (it takes upwards of 10 minutes per thumbnail). Since I work with hundreds of graphics and designs at a time, it's crucial to have them appearing as thumbnails in Windows Explorer as they have for the last 10 years. It works just fine on my other computers so it's something specific to this one main desktop (where I do most of my work).

The weird thing is that once the thumbnails are generated, if I close that folder and then re-open it, it starts over taking 10+ minutes per item to show the thumbnails again.

The thumbnails also do not show up on a flash drive inserted in this machine or in the window that displays the contents of the embroidery machine when it is connected by its USB cable. These are two other ways that I use literally all day, every day to work with this files so I'm not getting a lot of work done right now.

I really was hoping that someone might have experienced something similar because of a windows update or something like that, that can be uninstalled. Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks,
    GiGi
    Last edited by ggmcbreen; 2014-11-05 at 23:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    There are many posts about this problem in various other forums. There are two "fixes" which seem to have worked for many posters:

1. Open Control Panel/Folder Options
    2. Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"
    3. Click "Apply"
    4. Uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails"
    5. Click "Apply"
    6. Exit Control Panel/Folder Options
    7. Refresh (or close and re-open) the folder window and the thumbnails should generate

The other "fix" is to install the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack which will install a full collection of known-good codecs and remove or repair any bad codecs.

K-Lite also includes "Media Player Classic" which I prefer instead of Windows Media Player.
    Thanks for the checklist. I have checked and unchecked the option about showing icons instead of thumbnails repeatedly but it does not resolve the problem. I have to have thumbnails in order to do the work I do so I need to resolve why it is taking 10 to 15 minutes per item for the thumbnails to show up.

I don't believe it has anything to do with codecs as I don't use any kind of music or video on this computer and haven't installed or updated anything related to video or audio on this computer in more than a year (this problem just started a couple of days ago). If codecs affect the ability of a computer to show thumbnails of jpgs, please let me know?

I'm very careful about what gets installed on this machine because it is the basis of my income and having it out of service is really a problem. I do have a backup computer that I can use but I need to try to resolve it on this desktop if possible.

I would welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks,
    GiGi

Thanks
    ...I would welcome any other suggestions...
    You could try Windows Repair All-in-one.

I have used this on many sick customers' computers during the past two years or so with very good results. One of the repairs is "Repair Icons".
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    You could try Windows Repair All-in-one.

I have used this on many sick customers' computers during the past two years or so with very good results. One of the repairs is "Repair Icons".
    Thanks! I just downloaded it. I'll let you know if it works for this.

GiGi

Thanks
    I have used Windows Repair (All in One) several times. One thing to note: do not merely check check check check items just because such can be checked. Some of the runs take a lllllooooooonnnnnnnggggggg time to complete.
    The program usually fixed my various problems; although a few problems may involve a reinstall of whatever is related to the problem[s]. Tweaking.com also has some utilities that really do the specific job they're designed to do.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used Windows Repair (All in One) several times. One thing to note: do not merely check check check check items just because such can be checked. Some of the runs take a lllllooooooonnnnnnnggggggg time to complete.
    The program usually fixed my various problems; although a few problems may involve a reinstall of whatever is related to the problem[s]. Tweaking.com also has some utilities that really do the specific job they're designed to do.
    Thanks for the pointers but this didn't work either. I got through all the preliminary steps but when I got to the actual repairs, it just couldn't run. After I got the bsod five times, it began saying the repair couldn't start after 30 seconds (over and over again). I guess I'm stuck with returning everything to the factory original image and reinstalling the software I use.

I appreciate the suggestions. I just wish I knew what caused the problem so I could avoid it in the future.

All the best,
    GiGi

Thanks
    Thanks for the pointers but this didn't work either. I got through all the preliminary steps but when I got to the actual repairs, it just couldn't run. After I got the bsod five times, it began saying the repair couldn't start after 30 seconds (over and over again). I guess I'm stuck with returning everything to the factory original image and reinstalling the software I use.

I appreciate the suggestions. I just wish I knew what caused the problem so I could avoid it in the future.

All the best,
    GiGi
    If the BSODs are caused by a hardware issue (often faulty RAM) then "...returning everything to the factory original image..." might leave you worse off.

Better to determine and fix the cause of the BSODs. Try Googling for the error in the BSOD, e.g.: "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

ggmcbreen (2014-11-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a final word about a resolution here. I use Vipre for my antivirus program. I contacted them and they remotely accessed the machine. There was apparently malware that neither Vipre nor Malwarebytes could eliminate through their normal channels. The technician spent about an hour on my machine and everything is back to normal now. There are no more bsod instances and the thumbnails are loading instantly just like they used to.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    GiGi

Thanks
    ggmcbreen - what malware was discovered? I'd to learn from you!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ggmcbreen - what malware was discovered? I'd to learn from you!
    They never told me. I'll send them an email to see if they can tell me what it was and if they do, I'll post it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast