Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two apps for more powerful desktop searches

BEST UTILITIES

By Nathan Segal

Searching for a particular folder or file on a PC can be a real pain — especially when you run up against Windows' built-in search limitations. If you're looking for more comprehensive search capabilities, two third-party apps can help.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-utilities/two-apps-for-more-powerful-desktop-searches/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2014-11-05 at 19:10.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting article. But there was no mention of whether any of these search engines would index Microsoft onenote files. I have a ton of notebooks and I would like to make sure that any search engine indexes those files as well. The other question is whether an iFilter is necessary to allow these search engines to search inside PDF documents.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It was an interesting article. I was hoping to see how X1 compares to the other programs in the article. Maybe someday they will add other choices and review them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay the two utilities are good for searching file names. What about if I wanted to search inside files for a string? (Files as in Outlook, Word, Excel, Acrobat Reader, etc.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Alternative Search Engine

In regards to using an app for searching, I have been using a product called X1 for years. As far as I know, it is based on an old Lotus product called Magellan which has long ago been discontinued. X1 is extremely fast and can search e-mail and file contents almost instantly. It is not free but I think it is only about $50. I use it every day to search my 25K mail messages in Outlook (stored locally in a PST file) as well as finding specific documents among the 50K+ I have on my system. The product has been updated to work with Windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

BEST UTILITIES

By Nathan Segal

Searching for a particular folder or file on a PC can be a real pain especially when you run up against Windows' built-in search limitations. If you're looking for more comprehensive search capabilities, two third-party apps can help.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-utilities/two-apps-for-more-powerful-desktop-searches/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gjwalden View Post
    In regards to using an app for searching, I have been using a product called X1 for years. As far as I know, it is based on an old Lotus product called Magellan which has long ago been discontinued. X1 is extremely fast and can search e-mail and file contents almost instantly. It is not free but I think it is only about $50. I use it every day to search my 25K mail messages in Outlook (stored locally in a PST file) as well as finding specific documents among the 50K+ I have on my system. The product has been updated to work with Windows 8.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Anybody knows of a freeware that can do what X1 does?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Search Utilities

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

BEST UTILITIES

By Nathan Segal

Searching for a particular folder or file on a PC can be a real pain especially when you run up against Windows' built-in search limitations. If you're looking for more comprehensive search capabilities, two third-party apps can help.

I have been using EVERYTHING (http://www.voidtools.com/) for some time and have found it to be a superior search utility, far better than anything else I have tried.

Thanks
    I second the Everything search suggestion as long as you don't have a need to search within files.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nathan,
    Thanks for this. Just one suggestion. You could have mentioned that the power of regular expressions available in Ransack goes well beyond what the wizard provides - good step up though that is. The extra capability only becomes apparent if the top menu "help" is consulted. Regular expressions can become daunting if pushed hard, but can also be life savers when pushed hard. It's just nice to know that if a really complex find and replace task is needed - there is a tool there to do it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using X1, the last free version (6.1) the company released way back in 2007. It still works flawlessly in Windows 8 / Server 2012 R2. It's very simply the best search program out there, paid or otherwise.
    I asked the company if they would consider releasing a free version again ("Just think how many users would tell their bosses they MUST get this for the company!"), but they said "No." Oh well...

Thanks
    Somebody asked about a free search utility -- http://www.fileseek.ca/ has fileseek, free & fee.
    I've been using the free version for months now. It can find files and stuff inside of files.
    With a *.* in the file find section, you can enter a search string...and click search button.
    it seems to do better if you have *.txt or *.doc -- however, have fun with it
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, that brings back some memories. Lotus Magellan was a great piece of software.

Thanks
    For searching (and/or global replacing) within files, try Windows Grep. One of our favourite utilities at work... it's a lifesaver at times when you're on a deadline.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying out SearchMyFiles it's a standalone/portable program which has very customisable searches, including duplicate files and text search within files. It's found stuff I'd forgotten about!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Everything all the time and in addition to others you mentioned I also use UltraSearch sometimes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast