New Lounger
    Thanks

Need help to select hardware for Windows 10

I would like to download windows 10 for evaluation.
    I would like your suggestion as to an optimum motherbord and
    peripheral hardware to use.

I had an unpleasant experience installing Win 7 Pro on a 2003 vintage
    machine with a 2.8ghz dual processor.

The manufacturer never upgraded the drivers and the machine would
    crash unpredictably .running Win7

I want to avoid having this happen again

I prefer Asus motherboards and Intel processors i3 or i5
    or equivalents

I do not do gaming or crunch very large spreadsheets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Do I take it that you are planning to build a brand new tower specifically for Windows 10? If so...

I certainly, have no problem w/ you wanting an ASUS M/B. and if choice between Intel i3 or i5 then, certainly, take the i5; make sure the CPU supports Hyper-V. And for x64 platform, minimum 4GB RAM. A good approach is put the OS on a SSD & also, have a HDD for data.

Beyond this, your question seems a bit broad but, maybe, I've given a bit of direction.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-11-05 at 17:33.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

theoldgeek (2014-11-06)

Thanks
    theoldgeek -- When Altex rolled my recent laptop from Windows 8 [Acer shipped it w/W8] to Windows 7, tech said he followed a LIST of things to do. Many chips [version numbers] on the MB had to be read & cross-referenced, then correct drivers installed, finally, $90 labor later, $299 MS retail later -- Windows 7 Pro, which is working just fine now. I'm curious, what OS came with the 2003 unit?
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-06 at 14:41.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

theoldgeek (2014-11-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps theoldgeek is evaluating it much deeper than I will. I just throw it onto any old leftover thing I have lying around. If it becomes, as theoldgeek says, an unpleasant experience, I just trash it and build a VM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to riffraff For This Useful Post:

theoldgeek (2014-11-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Any recent decent combo should work fine...you just happened to hit just to the rear of the work/not work range for Windows 7. I have 3 or 4 systems running Win 7 okey dokey from 2004 to early 2005. I was not successful with any models dating earlier than that except one from 1998 that uses Via 4in1 drivers for the motherboard (updated to work with Vista; which work for Win 7).

There are increased requirements for motherboard compatibility with Win 8 and 10, but those are going to be age-related, not current manufacturer differences related.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

theoldgeek (2014-11-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    theoldgeek -- When Altex rolled my recent laptop from Windows 8 [Acer shipped it w/W8] to Windows 7, tech said he followed a LIST of things to do. Many chips on the MB had to read & referenced, then correct drivers installed, finally, $90 labor later, $299 MS retail later -- Windows 7 Pro, which is working just fine now. I'm curious, what OS came with the 2003 unit?
    Thanks for your reply.
    The machine came with XP Pro. and it runs fine with that. I got the machine as a throwaway because the ac 97 audio chip had been toasted. I disabled it in the bios and added a pci audio card.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldgeek View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    The machine came with XP Pro. and it runs fine with that. I got the machine as a throwaway because the ac 97 audio chip had been toasted. I disabled it in the bios and added a pci audio card.
    I trust you are not using XP on the Net.

Or this is the machine you are going to use for Windows 10??

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Windows 10 probably will not work on this 2003 architecture. There's a very remote possibility of a LONG LIST of things to do on the net to convert from XP to Windows 10, however, I've seen what happens when a newer OS was installed onto an older PC or laptop -- be prepared for lllloooonnnngggg waits for many OPs.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    The hardware might cope but, would have to be done as a Clean Install not, an in-place upgrade. Would not be the 1st time that these things will, surprisingly run on older, not very robust gear. It's only a throw-away beta... only way to find out is try. Nothing ventured, nothing lost or gained. Be interesting to know the results, that's for sure.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    As its a beta, its a lot less trouble to install it in a VM and its only a few key presses to get rid of it when its no longer required or you find that it wont work, leaving your previous OS intact. As for drivers, generic drivers included with the OS, are automatically installed and can be updated, in most cases, in Device Manager if required. Its usually only drivers for peripheral hardware such as the monitor or printer that you need to obtain individually to provide full functionality. If you are not sure an upgrade to your machine will work, MS provides downloadable Windows Upgrade Advisors which will report any problems. (The one for W10 has yet to be released).
    Roland - $400 to have someone install W7? What were you thinking!

Thanks
    Calimanco, remember there were two parts to the invoice -- $90.00 labor, went straight to Altex. They did take 1.5-2.0 hours to make the change, a lot of work went into getting drivers and whateverelse. $299.00 was my cost for an Microsoft Windows 7 Pro disk pack [32bit & 64bit DVDs, MS support, their product key, etc.]. I did not want an OEM product.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You just woke me up to what Roland had written, didn't really register 1st time I read it, I don't think.

I realise, now, Roland, someone led you down a garden path, M8! I can't imagine why you go backwards to 7 from 8 but, that's whole nother discussion but the point is... and, remember, I do this stuff for a living...

It can be done w/ OEMs that cost around $100 -$150 and both 7 and certainly, 8 are 'smart' enough that they do most everything automatically all by themselves. You throw the OS in & then, a pile of updates including, they grab whatever drivers... there is no digging around for them or cross-referencing needed. Even, for most printers Windows will run off to the Net & find the drivers/software w/out even needing to use the printer's install CD. Doesn't require all the fancy work you describe they said. I will admit 7 takes a bit more than 8... 8 is even 'smarter' than 7 but, still...

Bare-bones 7 takes maybe 1/2 hr to 45 mins to install... it's the updates that take time but, you don't sit & watch them install.

8 installs in about 15 mins, plus, the updates. The Upgrade of 8 to 8.1 takes about 15 mins.

But, again the updates do everything & nobody need babysit a machine while they are installing.

Even, if after the OS is in the M/B driver disc is used, takes about 5 mins to load all the drivers & no crazy searching is involved.

Anyway, bizarre.

Would have saved a heap of $$ leaving it @ 8 but, I guess you had your reasons.

If I install an OEM OS for a client be around $250, maybe $300, OS & labour.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-11-07 at 08:38.

Thanks
    Drew, Calimanco -- this particular Acer is fairly new, at the time of purchase, only W8 could run on it. Well, W8 over and over kept nagging about 8.1, W8 would lose its explore.exe [along with the rightside menu], and the Network & Sharing Center would be "access denied," no more changes allowed anywhere. For me, W7 provides a lot more informative N&S Ctr display. W8 would not allow any usb boot or usb hd. I finally got tired of W8. A year after purchase, some techies found a way to convert this specific Acer from W8 to W7. That process is a lot longer than you think, due to the relative newness of the hardware, chipsets, and so on. Now, my desktop, my two laptops have fully functional, fully Microsoft-keyed & supported Windows 7 Professional, all running Windows XP mode just fine, all talking with other flawlessly [via hardwire] -- and anything good happening to one, gets passed to the other two, seamlessly. Wifey and I are very happy with the setup!