Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    New Lounger EdDavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Reset all user permissions to default in Windows 8.1?

    Win8.1 Permissions problem

    HELP REQUIESTED:__________
    I need help globally changing the drive C: directory security settings, write protection attributes, possibly "Ownership", back to Windows 7 equivalents, so that the security restrictions appearing during the install of Win8.1 stop restricting my use of the directories normally accessed.
    This is a home-machine with me having sole-access, so I'm not concerned about "internal" security (Internet Security is provided by MicroSoft Defender, kept fully updated).

    BACKGROUND:______________________
    PC with Win7 had problems (probably HDD drivers corrupted through several weeks of BSoD) to the point where it would no longer boot to any disk, repair, restore didn't help.

    Purchased and Installed Windows 8.1 on top.
    Install of Win8.1 appeared to be successful.
    Windows Upgrade DLed and installed upgrades OK.
    Install of Office 2003 and it's upgrades appeared OK
    Install of several other programs appeared OK

    HOWEVER, I tried re-installing other programs I had previously used, (versions I had successfully installed on my Wni7 machine of: Quicken, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop). These installs appeared to fail due to blocked install paths or insufficient permissions to install to those paths.

    I examined many of the data directories, My Document dirs, Program File dirs, ProgramData dirs, and all appear to have their WriteProtection attribute set. When I try to change that attribute, IE appears to take the change, but re-inspection of the dir shows no change.
    Some directories, I can add or delete entries, even though they indicate as Write Protected.

    FYI: MY SETTINGS:______________________
    Logged in under my Microsoft Account - Administrator level

    File Manager / select drive C:\, RightClick and select Properties, select tab_Security
    (All Group or User names show their Permissions to be Full Control)

    button_Advanced:
    Advanced Security Settings for C:
    Owner = SYSTEM
    tab_Permissions: (all entries show Full Control)
    Everyone = Full Control
    ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
    Authenticated Users
    SYSTEM = Full Control
    Administrators ("my account name"\Administrator)
    Users ("my account name"\Users)
    TrustedInstaller


    Examples of who owns various important directories:, FYI:
    Owned by SYSTEM:
    C:\
    C:\Users\"MyAccountName"

    owned by "MyAccountName"
    C:\Users\"MyAccountName"\ (all subdirs)
    C:\ProgramData

    owned by TrustedInstaller
    C:\Windows
    C:\Program Files


    NOTES:____________________________
    Fixes that use Rollbacks, System State backups, or Undo won't help me as it's a new install of Win8.1
    I've seen several Answers, mostly relating to Vista or Win7, that don't seem to apply.
    I tried using the Subinacl Tool but it won't install (due to insufficient permissions!), and it's documentation doesn't make it clear it's for Win8+ anyway.

    If I don't get a fix pretty soon, I'm gong to pull out my old Win7 disk and do a virgin install of it, and have to spend another couple of weeks re-installing and configuring all my old software. Please help!!!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,615
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 872 Times in 834 Posts
    You could try Windows Repair (All in one) http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

    It advises you do the pre-checks and back ups before running the program in a clean boot and if you still have problems, register and open a thread on the forum and Shane (the author) will probably be able to resolve for you.

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stockbridge,VT
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Ed,
    "PC with Win7 had problems (probably HDD drivers corrupted through several weeks of BSoD) to the point where it would no longer boot to any disk, repair, restore didn't help.

    Purchased and Installed Windows 8.1 on top."

    If you installed Win 8.1 as an upgrade to an already corrupted Win 7 os that is most likely your problem.
    Try a clean install and let it format your drive.
    I wouldn't bother making an image of your corrupted Win 7 install. If you decide to go back to Win 7 your best bet is to do a clean install of that os.

    Rich
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China


    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    New Lounger EdDavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    Ed,
    "PC with Win7 had problems (probably HDD drivers corrupted through several weeks of BSoD) to the point where it would no longer boot to any disk, repair, restore didn't help.

    Purchased and Installed Windows 8.1 on top."

    If you installed Win 8.1 as an upgrade to an already corrupted Win 7 os that is most likely your problem.
    Try a clean install and let it format your drive.
    I wouldn't bother making an image of your corrupted Win 7 install. If you decide to go back to Win 7 your best bet is to do a clean install of that os.

    Rich
    Sorry for the ambiguity. Windows 8.1 says that it can NOT be installed as an upgrade. It MUST be a clean install. When I said I did 8.1 "on top" of my old Win7, I meant I did a clean/new install of 8.1 into the hard drive that held the Win7 files.
    Actually, since 8.1 refused to transfer / import any of the installed programs and settings from the previous Win7, I should have sprung for an all-new HDD, and put 8.1 on it, and then copied over what files and settings I could, manually.

  5. #5
    New Lounger EdDavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You could try Windows Repair (All in one) http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

    It advises you do the pre-checks and back ups before running the program in a clean boot and if you still have problems, register and open a thread on the forum and Shane (the author) will probably be able to resolve for you.
    Thanks for the suggestion about using the cleanup utility Tweaking.com.
    I already had tried it.
    It looks like a very useful tool, and I'll keep in in my toolbox from now on.
    However, and unfortunately, it didn't help me here.

  6. #6
    WS Lounge VIP Coochin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,154
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 306 Times in 266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDavis View Post
    ...I tried re-installing other programs I had previously used, (versions I had successfully installed on my Wni7 machine of: Quicken, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop). These installs appeared to fail due to blocked install paths or insufficient permissions to install to those paths...
    I have often had similar "permissions" problems installing programs, especially older programs, in Win7 and Win8/8.1. In most cases they installed successfully when I right-clicked on the program's installer program (most often "setup.exe" but could be named differently), then clicked on "Run as Administrator".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

  7. #7
    New Lounger EdDavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    I have often had similar "permissions" problems installing programs, especially older programs, in Win7 and Win8/8.1. In most cases they installed successfully when I right-clicked on the program's installer program (most often "setup.exe" but could be named differently), then clicked on "Run as Administrator".
    I did try installing several of the programs that had earlier failed, using Run as Admin, (Even though my login was at Admin Level).
    Installs still failed, as did my attempts to adjust the target directory file permissions, or their "Owners"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •