5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to make Skype work?

wife got new laptop
    we clicked on skype ap
    after much futzing over a few days
    it now says we have an account that is our pcs name

but how do we actually connect to someone else ?

then if we could do that
    how do we get our user name instead of defaulting to the pc name

we do NOT want everything we ever use all connected like win8 and microslop do so as to make it easier to identify us and serve up more spam

so there is no way to use facebook or other social media if that were a way to do it

isnt there some way to type in the other user name/email and have it skype connect ?

IS THERE A DECENT QUICK START GUIDE ANYWHERE FOR SKYPE?
    all we find are big expensive books and useless web tips that are meaningless. did not find anything at the skype site -- dont know if that is them or the way win8 filters stuff to show us.

Thanks
    https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3...indows-desktop seems a reasonably clear help for Skype. Are you using the 'Metro' app or the desktop program? In my view the latter is better as you don't need a MS account. You must have entered your PC's name at some point - and I don't think you can change it. You can ditch it though and start again - but I suggest with the desktop app, it's quite straightforward. When you have an account, just search for the person you want to contact (it tells you how on the above link). Note that to connect to them they have to be online.

I've never had spam from MS, or even FB when I had an account.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks

i think we stumbled on the answer by futzing around
    we both have accounts now
    and are trying to connect them so we can have a video chat
    but that built in skype ap is not intuitive and hides a lot of things

we are using the funny colored box ap
    did not download one

just got the same advice at the computer store
    download version is far better

i just dont like them being able to connect all our accounts to better link all the other info they are stealing from us to foster their marketing

and even if not outright spam
    i am not afraid of nsa nearly as much as the microsoft cartel of 20 some big corps sharing all our data with each other for their own gain

Thanks
    My only suggestion then is to never go online - ever. Then you should be safe. I doubt you would be any safer with Apple or Linux. As for me, they're welcome to the small amount of data they get off me, as I can use many of their services for free (being a tight wad).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks

we have several pcs that have never been online at all

we ripped out all the security software etc that was slowing them down

we have two 98se boxes that run faster than much newer xpprosp3 ones that are bogged down with the antivirus etc programs

Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    My only suggestion then is to never go online - ever. Then you should be safe. I doubt you would be any safer with Apple or Linux. As for me, they're welcome to the small amount of data they get off me, as I can use many of their services for free (being a tight wad).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    thanks

we have several pcs that have never been online at all

we ripped out all the security software etc that was slowing them down

we have two 98se boxes that run faster than much newer xpprosp3 ones that are bogged down with the antivirus etc programs
    Are those xpprosp3 ones by any chance running some version of Norton anti-virus? I only ask because Norton was a resource hog on our XP machines, making them all feel slow or sluggish at different times. When we switched to Avast free and sometimes AVG free anti-virus all our PCs ran noticeably faster. A neighbor uses Panda's free anti-virus/anti-malware on a not very powerful old computer and Panda doesn't seem to slow him down. Afterthought: i loved Windows 98SE and wish we still had it !

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the one online has norton

two are offline and should never have to go online

the 98se machines are offline and we ripped out the AV so they run faster than the XP that is online

that said
    norton on the xp has saved our butt many times
    when mbam didnt stop it norton did

chrome slows us down more than norton

but i cant get FF to work after a failed update to a newer version forked that so i cant rip it out and cant make it work

Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Are those xpprosp3 ones by any chance running some version of Norton anti-virus? I only ask because Norton was a resource hog on our XP machines, making them all feel slow or sluggish at different times. When we switched to Avast free and sometimes AVG free anti-virus all our PCs ran noticeably faster. A neighbor uses Panda's free anti-virus/anti-malware on a not very powerful old computer and Panda doesn't seem to slow him down. Afterthought: i loved Windows 98SE and wish we still had it !

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    " norton on the xp has saved our butt many times
    when mbam didnt stop it norton did "

mbam (that's MalwareBytes, right?) free version doesn't stop anything. It's not an anti-virus or active anti-malware app. The free mbam only runs a scan when you tell it to, and then it's very effective at locating bad stuff and listing it for removal or quarantine. There's a premium version of mbam which may have active always-on protection, but i've never tried that one.

All active protection apps have some slow-down-your-system effect. Some slow it down more than others. For many years Norton had a strong reputation for making computers slow and sluggish whilst providing very effective protection. Other apps took a lot of business away from Norton because they were effective but with less slowdown of the system. Avast and AVG and Panda all have effective free versions which do a fine job. Also, the latest versions of Norton receive good reviews and slow down the system much less than older ones. Also, the dual-core and quad-core processors of recent years are more powerful and seem less affected by anti-virus slowdowns.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    we run norton and mbam plus other security software

they do not slow us down all that much
    chrome is a resource hog and goes out to lunch often while the HD light is solid on

sometimes mbam wakes up and starts a scan without our asking for it and takes too many cpu cycles

but norton catches enough problems we are going to keep it

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i like some aps that we have on win98se

the first box was crap but okay if you were careful
    the second one had a different version of 98se
    and worked much better

i would love to have the exact same aps running right on xp
    but not trying to move anything as long as the 98se boxes run okay