3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unremovable Pop-UPs

I am running a New HP Notebook with Win 8.1 (on another machine). HOW can I block forever Pop-ups such as the following: PC Keeper, TuneUP Pro, and the worst of all PC SpeedBoost. The latter arrives in the middle of messaging or surfing, etc. and I cannot remove it unless I Turn OFF the computer. There is no little Red X to click on and make it disappear. I have installed MSE to replace McAfee that was installed on trial at time of purchase.

PLEASE SOMEONE ----HELP pajan@bell.net

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaJan View Post
    I am running a New HP Notebook with Win 8.1 (on another machine). HOW can I block forever Pop-ups such as the following: PC Keeper, TuneUP Pro, and the worst of all PC SpeedBoost. The latter arrives in the middle of messaging or surfing, etc. and I cannot remove it unless I Turn OFF the computer. There is no little Red X to click on and make it disappear. I have installed MSE to replace McAfee that was installed on trial at time of purchase.

PLEASE SOMEONE ----HELP pajan@bell.net
    1. Run Malwarebytes
    2. > Internet Options > Privacy tab & make sure the Turn on pop-up blocker is checked.

I run 8.1 & IE11 & never see any of that stuff.

Cheers,
    Drew

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

PaJan (2014-11-06),RolandJS (2014-11-06)

Thanks
    HOW can I block forever Pop-ups such as the following: PC Keeper, TuneUP Pro, and the worst of all PC SpeedBoost
    No need to block a pop-up, just uninstall those parasitic programs.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Geez, Clint, I thought the User was getting pop-ups, like advertising... didn't realise or occur to me the garbage was, actually, installed on their system. Although, I had said run Malwarebytes to find & remove such horrid dirt. But, yes, if, they have been installed, for sure, get rid of such cr@p, immediately!

Even better 'Best Practice' is don't put such rubbish in a machine in the 1st place.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I was probably a bit harsh in the use of the word "parasitic", but many of those utilities do little more than
    assuage the concerns of n00bs and those who STILL don't know how to prerform proper Windows maintenance.

There's NEVER any reason to actually purchase something like that, NEVER.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I'm with you, Clint, 100%

And, I'm not sure it's too harsh if & when one thinks of & includes those damn things advertised on TV like SpeedUpMyPC , CleanMyPC, FinallyFastPC that literally prey on innocents.

Cheers,
    Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-11-07 at 07:36.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I feel that I am very careful in my installs of any programs but tonight while I was subscribing to an online site that I have been hesitant about for years I received a message that adobe flash player had to be installed. I try to stay away from adobe because I feel there are better alternatives but I clicked on install. While I was trying to do other things I watched the install and clicked decline on all the crap that was offered but somehow something got through. Now I have to go to programs and remove it and when I have time this weekend find the shit it put in my registry.
    No matter how careful one is, shit can always find a way to get through, noobe or not.
    Lesson learned.I will now stay away from anything adobe related.

Rich

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Rich,

I will just mention that certainly, if one is using IE on 8.1, ignore anything (ever) saying to install Adobe Flash (it is not necessary) as, Flash is (already) embedded in IE11.

Cheers,
    Drew
    thR0V6M5GG2.jpg