Star Lounger
    Thanks

Want different table titles across pages

It is possible to automatically include the table title on each page the table crosses to.

Is it possible to have a different title for the second page onward? For example, can I have "Table Title (continued from previous page)" on every page except the first?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Have you tried using the Table 'header row' property (Table Tools>Layout>Properties>Row)? Do note that there is no facility for adding anything like "(continued from previous page)".
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

ForEachLoop (2014-11-12)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Have you tried using the Table 'header row' property (Table Tools>Layout>Properties>Row)? Do note that there is no facility for adding anything like "(continued from previous page)".
    Thanks for the reply. I knew about that but was hoping there was something I missed.

Thanks
    A workaround is to put the continuation text in a textbox floating into the table from the page header. This is both tricky and finicky.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

ForEachLoop (2014-11-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do something similar to this on an almost daily basis. Some of the following steps may be unnecessary depending on how your table is formatted, but the general process would be the same for any table.

1. Split the table at the top of the second page (Table Tools > Layout > Split Table).
    2. Highlight the first row of the new table, and insert a new row above.
    3. Merge the cells in the new row, leaving a one-cell row.
    4. If your original title is outside of the table: on the new row, remove the top and side borders (if applicable) and leave the bottom border intact. This will give the appearance that your title is still outside of the table.
    5. In the new one-cell row type the "new" title (e.g., Table 1 [continued]), or if you used a Word-generated caption insert a cross-reference to your table caption and add "continued" or whatever you need to the end (this will allow you to just update the field in the future should the title of your table change).
    6. Return to your original table and copy your header row(s) (if applicable).
    7. Highlight the second row in your new table and paste the header row(s) you just copied, using the Insert as New Rows option
    8. Highlight the first row (where you added the "continued" title) and any header rows, then select the Repeat Header Rows option (Table Tools > Layout > Repeat Header Rows).

Your new title will now appear automatically at the top of the table at any point where the table crosses onto a new page.

Hope this helps!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RoobyDooby For This Useful Post:

ForEachLoop (2014-11-12)

Thanks
    I did this once using the header set to Different first page. I did not set the first table row to repeat. Then I copied the first row into the second page header. The top of the table I didn't need it to touch the table, so there was a small gap between the single table row in the header and the body of the table. I reproduced that look at the top of the table, though.

For what it's worth...

Best, Kim

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmurdock For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2014-11-11),ForEachLoop (2014-11-12)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the good ideas. In each case, it sounds like there is a second table. That is a our workaround but I was curious if there was a case for one, dynamic table, since we don't know which tables are going to expand or by how much.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Look at this:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...281#post249281

This was solved several years ago.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kswan53 For This Useful Post:

ForEachLoop (2014-11-18)