Lounger
    Thanks

video hangs up with some programs

My computer screen hands up in the following conditions;
    When flying with Flight simulator 10 my screen stalls after from 5 minutes to 30 minutes after starting a flight.
    When using Skype my camera frequently stops but my callers screen keeps running.
    When viewing videos on facebook the movie fails after several seconds. If I reboot this same video works fine.
    I'm guessing that it might be a video card failure but most videos directly from youtube work fine
    I have a AMD Radeon HD6800 series card with 1gig memory
    Any idea's????

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanwdixon View Post
    My computer screen hands up in the following conditions;
    When flying with Flight simulator 10 my screen stalls after from 5 minutes to 30 minutes after starting a flight.
    When using Skype my camera frequently stops but my callers screen keeps running.
    When viewing videos on facebook the movie fails after several seconds. If I reboot this same video works fine.
    I'm guessing that it might be a video card failure but most videos directly from youtube work fine
    I have a AMD Radeon HD6800 series card with 1gig memory
    Any idea's????
    Have often seen this sort of misbehaviour on customers' computers. Often caused by tarnished contacts. Remove the card from the PC and carefully clean the gold-plated contacts using a good-quality white pencil rubber then brush off any particles with a suitable brush. It would be a good idea to do the same with the RAM contacts.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, I've had crazy video displays. I've closed up stuff, and restarted. and video's fine.
    Is it possible to "fill up" the video card's onboard memory? In the old old W3.11 days, we used to fill up the hooey, looey, and gooey heap stacks.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Coochin, I've had crazy video displays. I've closed up stuff, and restarted. and video's fine.
    Is it possible to "fill up" the video card's onboard memory? In the old old W3.11 days, we used to fill up the hooey, looey, and gooey heap stacks.
    Up to about the mid-late 1990s most computers had a separate Video Graphics Adapter (VGA) card which had its own RAM on the card. These days almost all laptops and many desktops have the VGA as a component of the motherboard (onboard), and the VGA uses a portion of the system RAM. Hence if there is a problem with RAM it can cause garbled display.

If a computer suddenly restarts without warning or the on-screen display flickers/flashes or is periodically garbled then tarnished RAM contacts are often the cause. If you have cleaned the RAM contacts but the problems persist then the RAM should be tested (see Memtest86).
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Coochin
    Sorry to be so slow in answering this. I removed my graphics card and cleaned the connections. When I rebooted it appears that the skype and videos we more stable (I will reserve judgment on that for a few days), but no change in the Flight sims’ hanging up.
    I did a test with “windows Memory Diagnostic Tool” and my 8 Gig of RAM showed no problems. I then checked “windows experience Index and my graphic card showed Gaming graphics performance at 7.8 (highest possible 7.9) so that suggests no problem with my graphics card.
    When the Flight Sim freezes it starts at the place where it stalled again by itself after about 8 minutes.
    This makes it look to me as if the cache memory fills and then dumps.
    I still assume that it is something in the graphics card but I hate to have to spend another couple of hundred dollars if that is not the problem

Thanks
    ...I still assume that it is something in the graphics card but I hate to have to spend another couple of hundred dollars if that is not the problem
    It's not necessarily the VGA card itself. Your card will have its own power connections direct from the power supply unit (PSU). You could look for voltage readings in BIOS setup. To test the PSU properly you would need to use a PSU tester.

You might want to run a stress test. I have found Heavyload quite good for stress-testing but always run SpeedFan at the same time to keep an eye on temperatures. I usually let a stress test run for at least an hour.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not sure if HWMonitor could help with the voltages. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

You could run it off load and then compare the voltages during the stress test.

When you are doing a memory test, it's best to do it on one stick at a time.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-11-09 at 19:39.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all. The last two suggestions are beyond my comfort level. In further testing I find that I can greatly increase my flying time by cutting the graphics, Scenery, etc back about 1/2. Not as pretty but at least the actual flying can be done. I think this probably indicates that in fact my graphics card needs upgrading so I probably will buy a new one.
    Thanks again

Thanks
    ...I think this probably indicates that in fact my graphics card needs upgrading so I probably will buy a new one...
    Certainly seems that way from what you say about "...cutting the graphics...". Your HD68xx card is probably about three years old now; if your flight-sim is a fairly recent version it probably needs more graphics processing power than your HD68xx card can handle.

You could look up the "System Requirements" for the flight-sim on the publisher's website, or search any related forums, to get a better idea about a replacement.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to close this thread, I installed a new 3Gig graphics card and I can fly FSX satisfactorily now but I still can't run at full graphics/etc. The tech where I got the new cards said he knows of people with $1000 cards and they cant get full res on FSX, so unless I buy a main frame (LOL) I'll have to live with this.
    Thanks all

Thanks
    ...I installed a new 3Gig graphics card and I can fly FSX satisfactorily now but I still can't run at full graphics/etc...
    Another option may have been to add a second HD68xx graphics card using AMD Crossfire Technology.