Lounger
    Thanks

Task bar notification area icons

I'm very new to windows 8, so my reference points are windows 7.

In 7, my notification area includes an icon showing when a USB device is plugged in and an icon showing MSE status. I am trying to get both of these to show on a windows 8 laptop.

On the 8 laptop, I can click the up arrow in the notification area and see an icon showing that a USB device is installed. But I cannot "pin" that icon to the notification area. When I right click to see all the programs that I can include in the notification area, USB device presence is not there. Can someone tell me how to get that icon to show whenever I plug in a USB device without having to click the up arrow?

I have the same problem with Defender. In 7, MSE shows a status icon. Defender does not do this in 8. Defender is not included in the program list opened by right clicking to bring up the list of programs that can be included in the notification area. Is there a way to have defender show a status icon in the notification area on 8?

Thank you

Thanks
    I ran W8 awhile before rolling it back to W7. Meanwhile, have you already tried Control Panel, Notifications -- is there a checkmark on bottom left corner indicating default of show all icons & notifications? If so, you might try removing that checkmark, and, one by one, for each item listed, click on always show icon & notification [I have the exact wording probably wrong]. I found it easier to keep desired icons visible using this "long-way-round" method. I'm assuming you have the choice of "never combine/never hide" in your Start Menu options.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My Win8.1 Notification Area functions the same as in Win7, click the small Up arrow and choose Customize then make a choice on each item listed from the 3 functions available.
    Untitled3.jpg

When I right click to see all the programs that I can include in the notification area, USB device presence is not there
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-your-computer
    http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic...icon-in-win-xp
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-11-07 at 11:10.

Thanks
    Thanks Berton! I could not remember the wording! Your pic makes it easier!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome, Roland.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    gwilki,

Here's the exact one you want to pick for the Safely Remove Hardware:
    SafelyRemoveHardware.JPG
    As for Windows Defender it just silently runs in the background and there is no Task Bar Tray icon AFAICT. You can check the status of WD in the Action Center.

You might want to consult this article.

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-11-07 at 11:28.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, thanks for reminding me that Windows Defender doesn't show in the notification area, I forgot.

Thanks
    An even easier way to get the Hardware icon to show in the notification area:

Click on the small up arrow to display all the icons, then drag the icon to the notification bar.

This is much faster than going to the customize menu.

Thanks
    JCZ, I think I gotcha, you done this, and dragging the icon into notification bar is the same as clicking always show icon and notification choice, correct? Lemmie try that tonight, report back to ya with results.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all. I will look at dragging the icon to the notification bar. Right now, the entry for windows explorer is set to "show icon and notifications" and it does not show an icon when a USB stick is plugged in. With luck, the drag and drop process will work.

As for Defender, I guess the laptop's owner will just have to live with it. I can never understand when MS takes functions away when it "upgrades" its products, but I'm sure that better minds than mine thought this one was a good idea.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwilki View Post
    I have the same problem with Defender. In 7, MSE shows a status icon. Defender does not do this in 8. Defender is not included in the program list opened by right clicking to bring up the list of programs that can be included in the notification area. Is there a way to have defender show a status icon in the notification area on 8?
    This works well for me:

Windows Defender Status Manager makes security easier

Once installed, you will find a Defender icon in your system tray. [... which shows enabled/disabled status etc.]
    You can right-click this to launch Defender and from there you can check the apps current status and also do a quick, full or custom scan.

From Windows Explorer you can right-click a file and choose "scan with Windows Defender". This makes checking questionable files much simpler.

Free from http://www.itknowledge24.com/

Bruce