Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BDOD: Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

My computer had been up for about 15 minutes and only the screen saver was running. I was busy and hadn't begun working yet. A BSOD suddenly appeared. Here's the crash log from WhoCrashed.

What does this tell me?

Thx.

WSC3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to WhoCrashed (HOME EDITION) v 5.02
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    System Information (local)

computer name: SCOTT-PC
    windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
    windows dir: C:\Windows
    Hardware: Aurora, Alienware, 04VWF2
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz Intel586, level: 6
    8 logical processors, active mask: 255
    RAM: 6432935936 total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 11/8/2014 12:11:06 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110814-36629-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: volsnap.sys (volsnap+0x19D6E)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880011AFD6E, 0xFFFFF8800DF37908, 0xFFFFF8800DF37160)
    Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Volume Shadow Copy Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 11/8/2014 12:11:06 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: volsnap.sys (volsnap+0x19D6E)
    Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880011AFD6E, 0xFFFFF8800DF37908, 0xFFFFF8800DF37160)
    Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Volume Shadow Copy Driver
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While not a BSOD expert, it sounds like the VS driver didn't load properly.

You can get bounced to Startup Repair (Win 7) when this happens or, a BSOD as you have experienced.

As the computer appears to have started okay after a reboot, Event Viewer should give you more details and when you find the corresponding error, click on the blue online help link to see if MS gives an explanation - but you will at least have an Event ID No. to work with.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15!

I looked at the Event Log and only saw an event for the unclean restart. Nothing about the error that caused the reboot.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3 View Post
    ...This was probably caused by the following module: volsnap.sys (volsnap+0x19D6E)...description: Volume Shadow Copy Driver...
    Often caused by filesystem corruption. Best run a repair scan:

In an elevated command prompt (right-click All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt, click "Run as Administrator") type:

chkdsk c: /r

then press enter.

You will see a message in the Command Prompt window that the scan can't run while Windows is running; go ahead and restart the computer and the scan will run as Windows is starting; once the scan completes Windows will continue to load.

Once Windows has started, look in Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application for a "Winlogon" entry that shows the results of the scan.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15!

I looked at the Event Log and only saw an event for the unclean restart. Nothing about the error that caused the reboot.

Thoughts?
    If it's running okay now then it was probably just a glitch in the boot which can happen now and again.

Can you post what it gives in the lower window when you click on that event including the Event ID No. and did the blue online help link produce any further info ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,

Here's what I copied from the Event log. The link (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...2fcdc3851.aspx) didn't give any useful info, but I don't know much about BSOD's. I don't think I've had but 2 or 3 in the four years I've had this W7 box. Oh, and why did it take the computer 15 minutes to generate the BSOD? The PC booted and ran for some period of time before it crashed. The screen saver was running. Any ideas? Event log next:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 11/8/2014 7:12:21 AM
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (2)
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: Scott-PC
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-11-08T12:12:21.786811100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>4261239</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Scott-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was wondering if it would give an Event ID 41 - you normally get one of those when you do a power shutdown.

The Volume Shadow Copy service is Manual so Windows would only start it when it was going to use it.

If it had been something that was Automatic and was loaded on Boot, then you would have gotten the BSOD or Startup Repair straight away if it didn't load correctly then.

I think this has just been a glitch and providing it doesn't keep happening, then is nothing to worry about.

I booted my other laptop up the other day and that went straight to Startup Repair and as I used the Restore option which resolved it, I didn't get to see what was the cause as I may have done in the repair log of Startup Repair.

While I can't remember what Event Viewer had for that, I don't think that was of much help either.

Thanks
    Were you doing a Windows backup operation in the background? volsnap.sys is partNparcel with Volume Shadow copying, it's a MS driver for VS. If a backup OPs was going on in the background, and, something, anything tries a write to HD, ?Would that cause a BSOD?...somebody tell me if I'm getting closer, or farther from a solution.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Were you doing a Windows backup operation in the background? volsnap.sys is partNparcel with Volume Shadow copying, it's a MS driver for VS. If a backup OPs was going on in the background, and, something, anything tries a write to HD, ?Would that cause a BSOD?...somebody tell me if I'm getting closer, or farther from a solution.
    Windows only creates a restore point when the computer is idle so I don't think that scenario is likely to happen.

From the opening post, the computer had been idle for about 15 mins which is when Windows is most likely to invoke the VSS - it just didn't start as it was supposed to have.

Thanks
    Sudo15, I thought there are programs that can initiate and carry out a Windows backup, whole or incremental, right out of the horse-racing shoot. I have scheduled scan[s] that begin as soon as the desktop's present, so I thought the OP might have a Windows Backup in motion using Volume Shadow. I don't mean restore points or registry-only backups.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Sudo15, I thought there are programs that can initiate and carry out a Windows backup, whole or incremental, right out of the horse-racing shoot. I have scheduled scan[s] that begin as soon as the desktop's present, so I thought the OP might have a Windows Backup in motion using Volume Shadow. I don't mean restore points or registry-only backups.
    Some services, and "Volume Shadow Copy" is one such, might appear to be set to "manual" startup in "Services", but are run by "Task Scheduler" at specific times. You can look through the various scheduled tasks in Task Scheduler, but as far as Micro$oft scheduled tasks are concerned prepare to become totally confused. Best leave it alone.

Is possible OP had some other non-MS task scheduled, but since OP has not re-posted that is a matter of speculation.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey RolandJS,

No. I had booted my PC and was busy doing something else. The only things running were the browser and my screensaver. Then I looked over and saw the BSOD.

But I did notice that I had a system restore point automatically created at about the time of the BSOD, now that you mention it.
    Last edited by WSC3; 2014-11-10 at 11:34.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hey RolandJS,

No. I had booted my PC and was busy doing something else. The only things running were the browser and my screensaver. Then I looked over and saw the BSOD.

But I did notice that I had a system restore point automatically created at about the time of the BSOD, now that you mention it.
    I wouldn't rely on that restore point as it could be corrupt - far better to create a manual one if everything is running okay now, but run a sfc /scannow to be doubly sure.

Thanks
    Have you checked the Minidump directory for any dump files?

Code:
    C:\Windows\Minidump
    If any files are available, then please upload those files to a file sharing site like DropBox or OneDrive (originally called SkyDrive).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I wouldn't rely on that restore point as it could be corrupt - far better to create a manual one if everything is running okay now, but run a sfc /scannow to be doubly sure.
    Good idea. It was all clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast