2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tabs: not at 3', 6' (Word 2000 SR-1)

What does Tabs: Not at 3
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tabs: not at 3', 6' (Word 2000 SR-1)

The text in the footer is most likely in the Footer style, which by default has tabs at 3" and 6". In your picture, notice that the Tabs: Not at 3", 6" shows up in the Direct Formatting section. This means that someone selected the text, then went to Format/Tabs and probably clicked on Clear All. You can remove this wording by going to Format/Style, selecting the Footer style and clearing the tabs from the style.

Lee Morgan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sad to say this did not work. The only thing in the footer is the page number in "Page Number" style (a character style not a paragraph style). When I highlight the # & paragraph marker and try to apply Footer style it does not take.

Another peculiarity... this problem does not occur until the 5th section of the First Page Footer. The first 4 sections, First Page Footer, do not have this "white hole" area.

Other than hand spacing the page number beyond the "white hole" or recreating the template I do not have a solution.

I have attached the file of the problem again for anyone who might be curious!!

TIA,
    gg

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi gg:
    Why don't you attach the file (or a page containing the footer) itself rather than a picture of the page? The latter doesn't really help.

If you just want to remove the formatting, rather than find out what it was, open the footer, select everything in it (Ctrl+A), & press Ctrl+Q. That should remove all direct paragraph formatting.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, the report is for DoD so I could not include the text. Here is a file containing 2 pages with bogus text and the problem Page One footer.

It looks like a "box" is hiding the page # 1 (if you space rather than tab you will see the page number field) but I cannot seem to grab the box (no handles). When I copied and pasted another good Page One footer over the bad one, the problem still remained. How can I get to the box????

Thanks,
    gg

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There is indeed a white box sitting over the middle of the footer. You can't select it when editing the footer because it is in the main story layer, not the footer story.

Go to page layout view and scroll so you can see the footer. Click around where you think the middle of the footer is and you will select the box and see that it is anchored to the last paragraph on the page. You can delete the box directly or the entire paragraph. Either way you get rid of the box and cure the problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am writing from home but will try your suggestion on Monday. It makes sense... you just had to think 3-dimensionally (layers) to solve this problem!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you,
    Georgette