Thread: Rescue disks

Lounger
    Thanks

Rescue disks

Four times in the last year I have been locked out of my computer. Not by viruses, but by windows patches, or conflicts between security software. I have learned the hard way, with Online Armor, to wait a few days before patching, check their forums, and use the 'learning mode'. I have learned the hard way that MalwareBytes no longer easily works with Online Armor, and the new free version is no longer 'standalone' therefore often conflicts. The latest try created a shock and even disabled boot to Safe Mode. Avira and Kaspersky boot disk virus checks did not find anything. Fortunately I had one of the hard to find Win7 Generic boot disks. First I let it fix any boot problems, then tried a System Restore. That worked (though I know I cannot rely on System Restore to even exist).

So, that prompted me to start collecting rescue disks, and rescue tools. I also paid for EasyRE. I am no longer trying to get Malwarebytes to be compatible on my system.

My question. On my computer is the folder i386 with setup.exe on it. What is it, and what could it do? Could it be used to make a repair disk?

Thanks

Ivan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ILowe View Post
    ...On my computer is the folder i386 with setup.exe on it. What is it, and what could it do? Could it be used to make a repair disk?...
    In the days of Windows XP the C:\i386 folder (with setup.exe in it) was a copy of the files from the XP installation CD. I can't recall seeing a C:\i386 folder on a Win7 (or later) computer, so cannot say for sure what is contained within it. Probably a copy of the files from the Win7 installation DVD? If so, then it could probably be used to make an Win7 installation DVD.

...I have learned the hard way that MalwareBytes no longer easily works with Online Armor, and the new free version is no longer 'standalone' therefore often conflicts...
    Care needs to be taken when installing more recent versions of Malwarebytes. One of the later dialogs in the Malwarebytes installation process has a checkbox "Also install the 30-day free trial..." (or similar) which is pre-selected (ticked). You must un-tick that checkbox to install Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner, otherwise it will install as a resident program and is likely to conflict with your main security program (in your case "Online Armor").

...I also paid for EasyRE...
    I have used "EasyRE" a few times to recover customers' computers, but it doesn't always work.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

ILowe (2014-11-10)

Thanks
    Coochin, if he still has that hidden partition on his primary hard-drive, after he gets back into Windows, could he use the built-in make rescue usb and/or DVDs? For example, my first Acer still has that partition entact, I can use an Acer utility that make rescue/rebuild/reload OS usb stick image or DVDs. Isn't there also a built into Windows function that will also make rescue/rebuild/reload OS usb...or DVDs?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell desktop, Optiplex. Out here you buy them from a dealer, and when I asked for an installation disk I was told they were already on my computer. I do not know if this is general Dell policy, or just the local dealer and the way they set me up.

The contents are too big to post here. It is over 5Gb, the biggest being 3,361,909,729 install.wim and 325Mb boot.wim

I will not rely on EasyRE. I want to have a collection. I do make a system copy to an external HD using Casper, but tend not to do that as often as Data backups.

I tried to make a rescue disk like Microsoft tells us to do, but hit Ox errors I could not overcome. The Windows Generic, as publicised a few years ago in the Secrets Newsletter, in this case saved me, and I think does the same as a normal rescue disk. I also found some recent links. I will post the links when I find it again

Thanks
    Have a look at:

My Dell Computer Did Not Come With Disks

Using the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager

Creating Restore Disc Windows 7 Pro (With an Optiplex 790)

These should tell you most or all you need to know about creating the OEM recovery disks. A lot of OEM recovery sets require 2 blank DVD's for the OS and usually another blank DVD for a 'Drivers and Utilities' disk. Note that you can't use DVD-RW disks, the blanks must be DVD-R (or DVD+R).

If you provide the exact model of Optiplex then it may be possible to provide even more detailed info but I suspect the articles above should cover your needs for information. (It may be that your Optiplex has a recovery partition invoked by a Function key at bootup.)

More info:
    - OEM recovery disks are different from Windows System Image disks.
    - The OEM recovery disks are also known as 'Factory Restore' disks.
    - Temporarily disable your antivirus product when you burn the recovery disks... it will speed up the process.
    - If creating the disks fails with an error, try again in Safe Mode. If it fails again, report back here with the details.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-11-10 at 07:16. Reason: Added info to differentiate between OEM and MS disks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Coochin, if he still has that hidden partition on his primary hard-drive, after he gets back into Windows, could he use the built-in make rescue usb and/or DVDs? For example, my first Acer still has that partition entact, I can use an Acer utility that make rescue/rebuild/reload OS usb stick image or DVDs. Isn't there also a built into Windows function that will also make rescue/rebuild/reload OS usb...or DVDs?
    See Rick Corbett's #5 post.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I have a Dell desktop, Optiplex. Out here you buy them from a dealer, and when I asked for an installation disk I was told they were already on my computer. I do not know if this is general Dell policy, or just the local dealer and the way they set me up.

The contents are too big to post here. It is over 5Gb, the biggest being 3,361,909,729 install.wim and 325Mb boot.wim

I will not rely on EasyRE. I want to have a collection. I do make a system copy to an external HD using Casper, but tend not to do that as often as Data backups.

I tried to make a rescue disk like Microsoft tells us to do, but hit Ox errors I could not overcome. The Windows Generic, as publicised a few years ago in the Secrets Newsletter, in this case saved me, and I think does the same as a normal rescue disk. I also found some recent links. I will post the links when I find it again
    See Rick Corbett's #5 post.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links to the Dell site. Quite a lot to wade through. I have an Optiplex980 so the links work well. The computer has the factory restore partition, which really would be a last resort. Last time I did that was when refurbishing an old computer, with a new HD etc, for a friend, and I used the 'first good' system copy on an old HD. For other thread readers, the site where I found the Generic Windows Repair disks -- the one that solved my problem, is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmBEcBp9KMs and see the comments.

It seems that Dell provide the original installation files which can be converted as per their instructions on their site into 2 or more disks for reinstalling the factory version when needed.

Thanks
    ILowe - My apologies. You were talking about creating a System Repair disk (between 150 to 170Mb depending on whether 32-bit/64-bit). I mis-read your post and thought you wanted to know how to create the OEM Recovery disks as they weren't supplied by the vendor.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well actually, I started out collecting Repair Disks then came across the i386 folder and wondered what it was and if it could be used to make one, and if so, what tools would it have. The topics are very close.