Thanks

Windows 7 Network & Sharing Center; changing ATT8506 into another name.

Guys, Gals, here goes the question. I have two laptops. In the Network & Sharing Center, there are nice informative cartoons and text.

Across the first row are three cartoons [is there a better word I can use?] with text:
    Laptop Stoller02 has Stoller02/This Computer, StollerG, Internet
    Laptop Stoller03 has Stoller03/This Computer, ATT8506, Internet

Underneath the View Your Active Networks,
    Left-side has another cartoon and text.
    Right-side has Access Type, Homegroup, Connections.
    Laptop Stoller02 has StollerG/Home Network, Internet, HomeGroup joined, and Connection stuff.
    Laptop Stoller03 has ATT8506/Home Network, Internet, Homegroup [joined Homegroup]

I need Stoller03's ATT8506 in both places to be changed to StollerG. I totally forgot to write the steps that I did long ago to successfully change Stoller02 laptop from ATT8506 to StollerG.

The reason for all the above is that my desktop and Stoller02 laptop are now the same: StollerG [in both respective places]. I need to change Stoller03 laptop from ATT8506 in both places into StollerG. [Note: This is not a changing of the wireless adapter name.]
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-11-10 at 08:06.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ...I need Stoller03's ATT8506 in both places to be changed to StollerGroup. I totally forgot to write the steps that I did long ago to successfully change Stoller02 laptop from ATT8506 to StollerGroup....I need to change Stoller03 laptop from ATT8506 in both places into StollerGroup. [Note: This is not a changing of the wireless adapter name.]
    Not quite sure from what you say, but could have something to do with "Computer Name" and "Workgroup" settings at "Control Panel/System/Computer name,domain, and workgroup settings". Best to have all computers in same "Workgroup", and each computer must have unique name (cannot have two computers named "Joe-PC" on same network).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, I did the CTL PNL SYS Computer Name/Workgroup name... While leaving the computer name Stoller03 alone, I changed the Workgroup name from Workgroup to StollerGroup -- but that did not change the Network & Sharing Center labels. Are we leaving out a step or two?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    ...Are we leaving out a step or two?
    Roland, has to do with "Workgroup" name. From your #1 post:

...Laptop Stoller02 has Stoller02/This Computer, StollerG, Internet
    Laptop Stoller03 has Stoller03/This Computer, ATT8506, Internet...
    "Stoller02" must have "StollerG" for "Workgroup name" and "Stoller03" must have "ATT8506" for "Workgroup name". After you make any change to "Workgroup name" you need to restart Windows before the change will appear in Network & Sharing Center.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Its been resolved! Combining the wisdom of Coochin, and the scrounging of RollerStoller, here's the answer:
    "...Control Panel/System/Computer name,domain, and workgroup settings". Best to have all computers in same "Workgroup,"and each computer must have unique name." -- wisdom of Coochin
    Ok, following the advice from http://www.7tutorials.com/how-rename...ion-windows-7:
    I made the changes to the icon, the house became a mini-network pic, the Home Network label was changed from ATT8506 to StollerG [although Coochin's idea above was the linchpin that worked!].
    That is the best I know how to do within Windows 7 Pro, desktop and older laptop.

[I do hope the mods can change the blue-title from "into StollerGroup" to "into another name"]