so i need a pop 3 email client to download them
    (dont i ??)

[please dont tell me imap is better and that i should use it anyway]
    i use hotmail and outlook for spam and junkie mail that i dont care about
    and if they lose those again it wont matter
    and they will lose them again like they have in the past

the only pop3 email client i found has stopped support and availability
    and not sure how old it was or why they quit

is there some way to get any pop 3 email client for win 8.1 ??

Thanks
    Try using Windows Live Mail > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...=overviewother > which is part Windows Essentials.

Uncheck apps that you don't want during the set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (70.8 KB, 7 views)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Another choice, also free, is Outlook Express Classic. I just set it up on my Win8.1 64-bit using POP, no problem.
    http://www.oeclassic.com/

Thanks
    Berton

Are the comments in this post:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/micr...k/K82UPQt8FvIJ - true of OE Classic?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't read all the comments but would say they are mostly correct but I keep in mind that OE Classic is relatively simple compared to other E-Mail Clients, that actually could be a plus for consumers that don't need all the features available with others. I didn't see anything in the Pro version I need but the ability to request new features could be beneficial.

One thing I do like about OE Classic is in using File, Save As, it defaults to the Documents Folder and uses the information/text in the Subject line as the file name with extension of .eml.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks all
    will check those links

would prefer something like eudora
    thunderbird??
    but i hear that it both works and it does NOT work
    FUD and prudence says to forget it
    i just got screwed with a firefox 33 install that hosed my xpprosp3 box

i really dont want to gamble on any program with win 8 unless it is rock solid
    with xp i would image and take my chances trying it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    ...would prefer something like eudora
    thunderbird??...
    I have been using Thunderbird myself for more than two years without problem. Have also installed Thunderbird on many customers' computers, with few problems.

Before Thunderbird I was using Windows Live Mail which worked OK except that every time I tried to send messages with attachments I would be nagged to "sign in to SkyDrive"; I don't miss that - Thunderbird just sends messages with attachments without any "SkyDrive" nonsense.

According to the Thunderbird website it will work on Win XP SP2 and later. I can't remember whether or not I have installed Thunderbird on any customers XP computers.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have Thunderbird on W8.1 using both POP and IMAP at the same time no problems.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure that this has been mentioned before, as I seem to remember posting it myself, on several occasions.

In Vista, my old favorite email program, Outlook Express, was renamed to "Windows Mail". Go figure.

Then in Windows 7, Windows Mail was still there in the programs menu, but it was purposely disabled, so it would not work. Grrrrrr!

Likewise Windows 8 and 8.1.

So I did what any good programmer would do,,,,,, I went looking for a fix, and I found it.

Copying the entire Windows Mail program folder from Vista to Win-7 solved the problem.

It's all documented in several Internet sites. Google it, for more info.

Happy Thanksgiving Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    If I remember correctly, Vista's Windows Mail was abandoned in its beta stages in 2006 because MS realised it was so bad.
    It was however still included in Vista and MS advised folks to download and use the new Windows Live Mail instead which they had been developing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks

will look at thunderbird

i am cautious about that because firefox just screwed my pc over with a version that would not run at all and i am wasting a lot of time trying to rip it out and get an older version back that did work

Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    I have been using Thunderbird myself for more than two years without problem. Have also installed Thunderbird on many customers' computers, with few problems.

Before Thunderbird I was using Windows Live Mail which worked OK except that every time I tried to send messages with attachments I would be nagged to "sign in to SkyDrive"; I don't miss that - Thunderbird just sends messages with attachments without any "SkyDrive" nonsense.

According to the Thunderbird website it will work on Win XP SP2 and later. I can't remember whether or not I have installed Thunderbird on any customers XP computers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using T-bird since the beginning - I've never trusted any Microsoft email client since reading so many horror stories around the beginning of Windows. It's been so long I don't remember what email I used then, but I switched to T-bird when it became available, along with Firefox after Netscape went bye-bye. Have had very few problems with either. Also, no matter which POP3 client you choose, there's a program called MailWasher that runs before your client and, once it's learned your criteria, removes spam and other trash on your provider's server before you download. If you're bothered by spam, this might be something to consider. I've been a beta tester for MailWasher for a number of years, and I swear by it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    ...i am cautious about that because firefox just screwed my pc over with a version that would not run at all and i am wasting a lot of time trying to rip it out and get an older version back that did work...
    Strange. I work on many customers' computers that have Firefox, and have installed Firefox for many customers, and have used Firefox on my own systems since it was released after Netscape went belly-up. Only problems I have seen with Firefox have been to do with add-ons interfering with, or hijacking, normal operation.

Have you checked that your system is free of malware? I.e.: have you run scans with reputable anti-malware programs, such as "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware", "Spybot Search and Destroy", "ADWCleaner", etc.?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I concur with the testimonials above for Thunderbird and can highly recommend it. I've used it since it first was released and am very pleased with it.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    I concur with the testimonials above for Thunderbird and can highly recommend it. I've used it since it first was released and am very pleased with it.
    I agree, and with the Lightening add on you have a comprehensive personal organiser the equal or better than Outlook's. If you install Mozbackup, you have the ability to back up all of your e-mails, settings and add ons in one operation and restore them as easily even to a different PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast