Thread: Acer RAM

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acer RAM

How stupid of acer to solder ram to motherboard on ultrabook windows 8. Mine is. Thanks, Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's usually best to Google for a review before you buy.

I'm not sure if it's ASUS that have a laptop where you have to take the back off when you need to change the battery - just hope the cooling can cope as heat is the biggest enemy of laptop batteries.

It seems as if they are no longer user friendly and they want more money out of you just for what should be simple user tasks.

I remember way back when Ford started using Torx bolts, so that meant additional equipment or take it to a garage.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Sudo,

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's ASUS that have a laptop where you have to take the back off when you need to change the battery - just hope the cooling can cope as heat is the biggest enemy of laptop batteries.
    I recently replaced the HDD w/SDD in my Wife's Dell XPS14z laptop which required removing the entire back of the machine and it is also the only way to get at the battery. And of course it uses Torx screws! Luckily I managed to get them off with a phillips although very very carefully!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Sudo,

I recently replaced the HDD w/SDD in my Wife's Dell XPS14z laptop which required removing the entire back of the machine and it is also the only way to get at the battery. And of course it uses Torx screws! Luckily I managed to get them off with a phillips although very very carefully!
    It,s so frustrating the way thay make computers ( laptops ) like I say my Acer Aspire laptop Ultrabook has only 4 gigs ram, theres no replacing it Acer says. Ram is soldered to motherboard. How very crazy. Just like battery being inside the back cover, yours even has torx screws? Crazy. Thanks Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    And of course it uses Torx screws!
    You mean to say your toolbox doesn't have Torx drivers? I have a couple of sets of the 33-piece security bits shown here: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=driver+bits

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
    It,s so frustrating the way thay make computers ( laptops ) like I say my Acer Aspire laptop Ultrabook has only 4 gigs ram, theres no replacing it Acer says. Ram is soldered to motherboard. How very crazy. Just like battery being inside the back cover, yours even has torx screws? Crazy. Thanks Chuck
    Have seen a few laptops/ultrabooks during the past two or three years that have had RAM chips on the motherboard. However, these also had one RAM slot, either above the RAM chips on the motherboard or on the opposite side of the motherboard under the keyboard.

I supplied a new Acer laptop to a customer about two years ago; about three months later the laptop developed RAM errors; sure enough, the RAM chips were on the motherboard, so I had to arrange warranty (Acer replaced it with a new one, but it took about three weeks).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Have seen a few laptops/ultrabooks during the past two or three years that have had RAM chips on the motherboard. However, these also had one RAM slot, either above the RAM chips on the motherboard or on the opposite side of the motherboard under the keyboard.

I supplied a new Acer laptop to a customer about two years ago; about three months later the laptop developed RAM errors; sure enough, the RAM chips were on the motherboard, so I had to arrange warranty (Acer replaced it with a new one, but it took about three weeks).
    I hope my ram don't go bad. I got 2 year extended warranty. I got it at WalMart. I had so much trouble with sound ( no sound ) I evently found the fix on you tube. I tried everything installed drivers from realtec, tried acer drivers, all no go. A realtec rar file fixed it. Been working now for about 4 months. Before when it quit was an everyday thing. When I had no sound I would reboot then I had sound. I don't know much about computers. There strange. Thanks Chuck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    You mean to say your toolbox doesn't have Torx drivers? I have a couple of sets of the 33-piece security bits shown here: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=driver+bits
    Berton, it does now!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You RetiredGeek, Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
    They certainly don't build them like they used to - unless this is so you can only use their parts & labour.

Probably cost a bomb to replace the RAM out of warranty - I was able to take out a 5 year warranty on my "old fashioned built" Toshiba from PC World.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They certainly don't build them like they used to - unless this is so you can only use their parts & labour.

Probably cost a bomb to replace the RAM out of warranty - I was able to take out a 5 year warranty on my "old fashioned built" Toshiba from PC World.
    'Building them like they used to' would mean using Torx, just like Compaq.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got windows 8 laptop about 8 months ago. I got a 2 year extended warranty, so I got about 1 year and 4 months left. Acer customer service is a joke I think. I chatted with Acer. Thay said I have no warranty, that's wrong, 2 year warranty. Then thay say I got this in xx month, wrong again thay say I got 4 months before I had gotten it. When I was trying register warranty, thay sent me there fax number and said I have to fax proof of purchase, I did that. Then said my warranty run out and go back to WalMart to get it straightened up. I never did do that. Someone picked this computer up for me. My first choice thay was out of that was HP. I have had a Gateway, I didn't want Gateway, I had so many problems with them. Thanks, Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you want to get that warranty sorted out PDQ - have you still got your receipt ?

Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    'Building them like they used to' would mean using Torx, just like Compaq.
    What I meant by that is that I have easy access to the external battery and it's only 3 Philips screws to access the RAM modules.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you want to get that warranty sorted out PDQ - have you still got your receipt ?

What I meant by that is that I have easy access to the external battery and it's only 3 Philips screws to access the RAM modules.
    I still got the receipt, iam very ticked at Acer, thay got a very bad customer relationship. It seems thay want your $$$$, but afterwards thay don't want to hear from you. Some computers have flaws, and to them were complaining. We just want things right. Make any sense ? Thanks, Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've never had to contact Toshiba as my extended warranty is with PC World - Whatever Happens - and that includes accidental damage.