New Lounger
    Thanks

CRC Error - 'Copy\Move shortcut' in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

hi all - hope someone has a clue to this

I (logged in as admin) get a crc error when I try *move a shortcut to, *create new folder, or *rename a folder
    in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

for years (many hundreds of times), after updating applications (which sometimes make new shortcuts
    in "C:\Users\theUserFolder\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\ Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
    I have been moving these shortcuts to replace the old ones in
    "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

now for some reason I cannot do this: the MOVE (drag and drop in Explorer) from one folder to the other results in no apparent action (no visual result - except for Win8 dialog ~ '0 bytes moved')

I tried a few different tests, to see what was up, and eventually got an explicit crc error message - typically something like "Unable to create folder" and "cyclic redundancy check"
    i can replicate the error ("Unable to create folder" and "cyclic redundancy check") by trying to create a folder (explorer 'right-click') in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"
    in fact, i get this error when i try to create a folder in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"; "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\"; "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\"; "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\"
    but NOT in "C:\ProgramData\" ? ! ?
    Now this points to some administrative privileges issue, but, of course, i don't have any understanding why it would recently crop up.
    {the Intel XDK was the application update i had installed recently, and the shortcut that i had tried to move, and that started this query}

Then i went to an administrative Command prompt in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" and WAS ABLE to "mkdir MyNewFolder" ? ! ?
    Even though i was able to create a folder, i still can't go into Explorer and manipulate this new folder - for instance: shift/right-click elevated "Rename".

I've done multiple Chkdsk, both in and out of win8 (dual boot win7 on separate disk) and used the native Samsung app to check disk health
    also several SFC runs

i'm sure I've missed something simple - haven't i ?

Win 8.1
    i5 2500K
    Samsung SSD EVO 840 (25GB free + 12GB overprovision)
    16 GB

many tia

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    CRC usually indicates impending disk failure, but you've run the Samsung diags and all seems fine. It could be a controller issue, or even the disk hardware. You could check for a disk controller driver update or a disk firmware update (I've had some really bad read problems fixed by a firmware update, but I had to hunt the manufacturers web site to find the details of the fix).

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    CRC to me means what was copied is not what was written, I'm wondering if HD may have a weak or bad cluster [a group of sectors].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, Paul - the curious part is that it's limited to a particular location - the start menu? - which, of course, isn't REALLY a physical location - but this is all complicated by the fact that C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ is a restricted path.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, Roland - maybe i need to try out a heavy-duty disk analysis tool.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The Start Menu is a physical location, it's a directory on your disk. If you didn't have permission to change things you would get a permission denied error ("Unable to create folder"), not a CRC one. It may be some issue in Windows and running SFC may help.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, Paul - as i reported originally, i've run SFC numerous times - still haven't found a tool that gives me more information than just reporting CRC errors

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The fact that you can do it from a command prompt but not Explorer points to something in Windows rather than a hard disk problem. Try loading 7zip portable and creating the folder with that - 7zip has a Windows Explorer like interface.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, again, Paul - good point ---- may be some corruption re. registry (: ?!?

thanks again