Thanks

Alternatives to Dell's audio-control program?

Howdy, Boys & Girls,

I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron with W8.1. While I am fairly well tickled with it, there is one thing I'd change if possible. When you want to change the volume of some video/audio and use the Windows volume control, it plays a sound to let you know how loud it has become. That is a good thing sometimes, but I wanted to be able to adjust the volume incrementally without that noise playing over and over and over. I can use the Dell Audio program sitting right next to the windows icon, but it takes up sooooooo much display real estate. And I can't resize it. The drivers are Realtek and the sound program is MaxxAudio4. I can't find DellAudio or MaxxAudio in the add/remove list.

So the question is: Can the Maxxaudio4 be replaced with another control program? How?

Thanks a bunch,

Steve

Thanks
    Wave Maxx audio is part of the audio driver, which is a Realtek driver customised by Dell to have some additional functions. If you uninstall the driver using Device Manager and replace it with the generic driver from the Realtek web site, it should replace the Dell control centre with the Realtek version. If you want to try it, set a Restore Point before you start in case of problems or in case you want to go back to the original version. You will, of course, lose any extra functionality provided by Dells version of the driver.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Thanks
    Well thank you, Calimanco. I'll try that. Thanks for reminding me about using the restore point, since my next question would have been, "How do I put it back, since I don't know the driver name?"

Steve