New Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop shuts off after 30 min connected via HDMI to TV

I have an ASUS G73JH laptop. Runs perfectly, unless connected to an external monitor or projector via HDMI. If I do that, the laptop powers off without warning after 30 minutes. It does a controlled power off, doesn't crash, but you get no warning. Just powers off. This does not happen otherwise.

I've checked Windows Power settings and laptop BIOS settings and cannot figure out why this is happening. The laptop is connected to a known good power source and shows that it is running on outlet power, not battery power. Power settings are to go to sleep after 60 minutes of no use, but this happens during use (keyboard and mouse both), so I'm stumped.

Suggestions anyone?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try ASUS Self Diagnostics which has a one for no output to external monitor, but as it's working until it shuts down then it may not find anything wrong http://support.asus.com/Diagnosis/Se...x?SLanguage=en

msinfo32/Hardware - Conflicts/Sharing may have something as perhaps Components/Problem Devices, but I'd look in Event Viewer to see if that has anything.

There may also be something in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices although I'm not sure what the HDMI would come under when connected.

I haven't gotten around to hooking my laptop up to my Smart TV yet.

Thanks
    I'm having a spat of wild guesses today, tonight. Wondering if a setting or two in BIOS or UEFI [does that apply here?] may be clashing, colliding with Power Options in Windows. Long ago, I was told to ensure BIOS and Windows do not cross swords with each other, trying to exercise similar power options.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe the components that drive HDMI are getting hot and it takes a half hour to reach the critical temperature.
    As a test, try running an HDMI device with some active chilling (like an air conditioner) pointed right at the laptop. If it runs longer than a half hour, you've identified the problem. Trouble is, there's not many ways to fix that problem unless the laptop needs a good cleaning.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas. The ASUS Self Diagnostics showed nothing (as expected). The Event Viewer simply shows an unexpected shutdown. MSinfo, nothing. The BIOS is something I checked, thinking that was likely the cause. Nothing in the BIOS relating to the HDMI at all. I did try some things in Power Options, just in case, but since the laptop is running on outlet power and that is set to not power off/sleep/hibernate at all...

The heat issue is something I had not considered, since when running on laptop screen I've used the laptop for hours without issue. I will have to try that. Fortunately/unfortunately my troubleshooting will take a hiatus, as firearm deer hunting season kicks off tomorrow morning and I'm planning to chase critters for the weekend and early part of next week. Depending on my success, it may be a few days before I'm back to working on this. I will post my latest troubleshooting efforts once I return from the chase.

Thanks
    There are a couple solutions for the laptop. From Austin's Altex, I purchased a large laptop fan assembly that has 4 USB ports [because 1 laptop USB must be used to power the fan], and a large spinning fan, a spinner-control from off to high spin. That has really helped to keep laptop cooler. Also, because the laptop proc area gets HOT under some heavy use conditions, I purchased a 5" AC fan from Walmart and aimed it at the proc area. My Acronis Drive Monitor tells me laptop's in the green. The only time laptop is really really pushed is during image-backup. Then I kick in an extra room fan. Fan assy = $80.00, Walmart Fan = $6.00; keeping laptop happy = priceless; keeping user happy = even more priceless!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Turns out I was missing a key component. When connected to my external HDMI monitors, I also would use a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. This turns out to be the culprit. I discovered this by accident, when I was too busy to go grab them and did a connection without them. An hour and a half later, still working without a problem.

The Microsoft tandem is the Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard and Mouse 5000. I am using the latest driver for the combo. For whatever reason, that seems to be the key ingredient. As I'm typing this, I have not tried using them without being connected to an external monitor of any kind. Think I'll try that when I have a minute and update this. Life has had too much drama lately to allow any gaming, which is all I use the ASUS ROG for. Will try to squeeze in an hour or so of testing this weekend, if possible, and update this.

I apologize for the long delay in updating this. The spirit has been lagging for troubleshooting with all of the personal drama and I thank you all for your helpful posts. It is appreciated!