Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Won't boot from CD/DVD

A neighbor brought over his Compaq Presario V6000 (Vista) laptop for me to see if I could fix for him. He said it gave a hard drive failure notice. I installed a new hard drive, made sure it was set to boot from CD/DVD drive in BIOS, but it still wanted to boot from the HD (it gave the "no operating system found" message). Long story short, I made sure of the setting, made sure CD/DVD drive was enabled, tried using my external DVD drive, tried using 2 different OS bootable disks, even reset the HD to last in the boot order. I even took a HD, with Windows 7 on it, out of one of my Dell laptops and started it up; after seeing the "Windows is Starting Up" screen, it quickly flashed a BSOD and shut down - as expected; it's still booting from the HD.
    SO, any ideas or tricks to get it so I can re-install Vista? Am I overlooking something?
    Last edited by rje49; 2014-11-11 at 18:35.

Thanks
    Look in you BIOS
    I set mine to boot first from hard drive if I need to boot from CD drive I have to reset to boot first from CD the hard drive

Dave

Thanks
    The only time I've ever seen a situation similar to this one was when I had a computer which had an IDE CD/DVD drive in it. I was unable to install Windows 7 using that CD/DVD drive, nor another IDE CD/DVD drive. However, when I installed a SATA CD/DVD drive, the Windows 7 install proceeded without any issues.

Changing to a SATA CD/DVD drive fixed it for me; perhaps it will for you.

Update: After rereading your original post, I see that you are working with a laptop, not a desktop; so my solution likely won't work for you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave, that's what I've done; and it doesn't work.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been a week, and I've told my neighbor friend that I don't give up on these things. My latest thought is try booting from a USB drive. But before trying to put Vista on a USB drive and making it bootable I can try it with a Linux USB that I already have on hand - but not until tomorrow. I have a feeling it won't boot from a USB drive either, but I'll try.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While this won't do anything for the internal disk drive, have you checked that USB Legacy Emulation is Enabled in the BIOS.

It normally is by default but worth checking for your external disk drive.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The term "USB Legacy Emulation" isn't seen, but everything is enabled. I did manage to install Linux Mint 17 with a USB thumb drive. That was encouraging, because I figured I could either leave it like that or copy his Vista disk onto another bootable USB drive and reinstall Vista. However, the whole thing took a dive; Mint freezes within 10 to 30 seconds. I restarted it several times; same result. I know it's not Mint that's the problem, as I used it to install on another laptop and it's working perfectly. So at this point, I'm thinking it's something in the MB that's both causing the freeze-up and the refusal to boot from CD/DVD. I don't give up easily, but I'm not very hopefull!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Was it a boot up with the USB or just a straight plug in as some earlier laptops don't have the option to boot from USB ?

If the laptop has more than one RAM module, have you tried with just each of them - won't do any good for the disk drive which could be goosed anyway, but may help you get a bit further with an USB.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It didn't list "USB drive" so I set "hard drive" last in boot order, behind CD/DVD, USB Hard Drive, USB Diskette Key, and USB Floppy - kind of like a shot-gun approach, so I'm not sure which one was considered a USB thumb drive.
    Yeah, I tried removing each RAM stick today; no different. The hard drive is good- it was working fine in another spare computer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I know Windows works its way through a boot order until it finds an OS but try setting the USB Hard Drive as the first boot order, as you have an OS for it to boot up with the Linux Mint, or create the Vista bootable USB.

You could still be right about the MB but it seems like a hell of a coincidence that and the HDD going down at the same time where it could be a fault with the ODD that's screwing things up.

When you boot up can you hear the CD/DVD drive clicking as it checks it for any bootable media ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No-go; I think the patient is dying. When booting, yes the CD/DVD drive clicks continuously, but now nothing comes up on the screen. Nothing at all, so I can't change the boot order. If I pop the tray open, the clicking stops but then the computer restarts every 20 seconds or so - still with nothing showing on the screen. I tried it with 2 HDs & without any HD at all. I also thought about the unlikely coincidence factor. Maybe the MB is the problem and not the HDs? I can test the HDs on another machine. At this point I think I'm done with it.

Thanks
    I was flying through this thread, did anyone mention Windows Repair (All in One), Tweaking.com? There is an option for software-wise fixing cd/dvd access.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No sir, that wasn't mentioned, but I think the patient is just about ready for an autopsy.

Update - I removed the RAM sticks again and cleaned them with alcohol. That helped get me to the point where I could get into BIOS again, and boot from the hard drive with Linux Mint installed. However, it still freezes after a minute or less.
    Last edited by rje49; 2014-11-13 at 21:04.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just wondering if it could be worth resetting the BIOS.

The first link is a tutorial and the second is the service manual PDF download.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8359089_rest...rio-v6000.html

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035886.pdf

Have you been able to confirm the original HDD had failed by perhaps popping that into your Win 7 machine as you had done vice-versa ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought of that awhile back, so I replaced the CMOS battery, and the BIOS settings reverted back to 2006. Right now, I'm running disk checks on the original HD, plus another one (both formatted & clear now). If they pass the checks I'll install one, then install Linux Mint, to see if it similarly freezes up. That should prove something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast